Saturday, March 5, 2011

Ted Slafsky Is Face #62: Painting the Whole Family

"Ted Slafsky: Face #62," oil, 12"h x 12"w, copyright Jill Banks 2011
This is a first for my 100 Faces in 100 Days Project. I've now painted the entire Slafsky family: mom (Diane, Face #46), dad (Ted, Face #62), daughter (Rachel, Face #2), and son (Adam, Face #32). It's been great to get to know each of them.

So even though I'd never met Ted before, by the time he arrived today I knew an awful lot about him and his life ... just through the words of the rest of the family. During Rachel's sitting, I learned that if I set up a TV in my studio with the game on, Ted could sit there forever. And although I didn't comply with the suggestion, Ted confirmed their hunch. Since I'm trying to discover a bit about each person, not just render their face ... I want/need the interaction.

The sitting did go well. We took some extra breaks (which is good for me, too), and Ted saw the painting in many different stages and it passed in each. In the end, he loved it. That made me happy!

We had really interesting conversations. Ted talked about his mom who had worked at the Rhode Island School of Design ... and who had helped with fundraising to support WaterFire Providence (copyright) (an award-winning sculpture by Barnaby Evans) as a community-pride-worthy spectacular arts event in Providence, Rhode Island. That's my poor explanation of something I'm now dying to see for myself. Barnaby Evans has constructed (with support from the community) 100 bonfires on the river at Waterplace Park. Go to the website: www.waterfire.org for more info and pictures. Providence was already someplace I wanted to visit. (Because of its thriving art community and beautiful light.) Now, I know I need to schedule a visit during WaterFire season.

Ted and I had been talking about where I might exhibit/what I can do to promote my 100 Faces in 100 Days Project ... and Ted figured that his mom would be a very good person to talk to for brilliant ideas. I'm all for that. My brilliant ideas are dimmed a bit by a tight schedule and consuming (but great) project.

One of those thoughts that do keep running through my brain with this project is how much we benefit from talking to other people. Again, not surface ... weather talk ... but more about their general outlook. We just have a lot to learn from each other. Just this part -- having long discussions with people I know and strangers -- has enriched my life. Really. Truly. I work at giving as much as I get. In other words, I've learned a lot in life that can help others and I offer that. With this project, many times I'm passing on the wisdom of some of my sitters. A big circle.

This is one really neat family... I'm so glad I've gotten to know.

I'm planning on bringing my web site up to date in the next couple of days on my project page. Coming soon.

Tomorrow I'm painting one of my face's seven-year-old son. Looking forward to it. I have two four year old "volunteers" out on the horizon ... and I keep wondering how to handle those sittings. One's a girl. One's a boy. Two different families. Any ideas?  Anyone who's tried to paint/draw something this age from life? What activity would keep them engaged for a good length of time?

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project: www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435 

No comments: