Monday, March 14, 2011

Terri Parent Is Face #71 and "Dad" Is Picked As A FAV 15%

"Terri Parent: Face #71," oil, 12"h x 12"w, copyright Jill Banks 2011
Terri Parent -- photographer, writer, creative soul and director of the Great Falls School of Art (where I teach) -- sat for me today to become Face #71.

Terri and I have spent quite a bit of time together ... but it was nice for us to spend time together without an agenda other than for me to come up with some semblance of her in paint.

Terri has one of those really expressive faces. I always know what she's thinking. Her mouth goes in a million directions. Her eyes change shapes. I like those kind of faces ... because I want that window into the person. It's part of the conversation. Still, it's interesting to try to paint an animated face.

These conversations are just as important to me as practicing alla prima painting. I love hearing other people's perspectives and their way to navigate life.

Occasionally I hear ... "and don't you dare choose that to blog about."

Here's Terri's email comment to me from today (the next day):
I either photograph beautifully or horribly.  I was prepared for either scenario as Jill painted me.  I am pleased to say this is a good one.
While I do not find it natural to sit still, the 4plus hours flew by.  As Jill layered paint, we peeled layers of ourselves as we learned more about each other, our families and so on.  The time and conversation spent together is the real treasure of being Face #71.
 
Jill, I looked at the blog this morning and I love "me".
Terri

See my web site: www.JillBanks.com and my 100 Faces in 100 Days page there for more info about my project. I updated it a couple of days ago.

"Dad: Face #11" Is Chosen as a FAV 15% in the Fine Art Views February 2011 Online Art Competition
"Dad: Face #11" is chosen as one of the top entries in online contest
I occasionally enter an online competition, Fine Art Views Art Competition, which is juried every month. In February, I entered  my 100 Faces painting of my Dad ... one of the faces I truly love. While the awards haven't been completed, each month the Fine Art Views Staff picks their favorite 15% of the entries for an honor called FAV 15%. So Dad made it for the February 2011 contest. Smart folks. My painting "Rainy Day in NYC" made it into the FAV 15% last year.


Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project: www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435