Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Frank Sagstetter Is Face #80 Today

"Frank Sagstetter: Face #80," oil, 12"h x 12"w, copyright Jill Banks 2011
Frank is one of the "alumni" (moved away but keep coming back) from my parents' condo building ... and one of their recruits for my 100 Faces in 100 Days Project. (Find out more about this project on earlier posts and on my web site's 100 Faces Project page.) Frank was a great pick for Face #80.

My parents sent out emails about my project ... looking for volunteers back in January. Frank was right on it ... glad to do it. I believe he used the saying ... "you snooze, you lose."

Frank came armed with questions, curiosity, stories, humor. It was a great afternoon.

His duties following sitting to be painted included getting the red cart of sodas, wine, snacks, etc. ready for poker night tonight at the condo. This is really my dad's job, but with my dad out of town, Frank is next in command for this important responsibility. He can't wait for my dad to get back in town.

I took awhile longer to paint this face than normal -- although neither of us seemed to mind. I'd watch as Frank's eyes crinkled up as he laughed and kept making decisions and revisions on just what I wanted to capture. And, then again, maybe I'm just slow.

Frank's known as the "silver fox" among my parents' condo buddies. With a gray wall, silver hair, and white t-shirt -- I didn't need that myriad of colors set up on my palette.

I received this email from Frank the next morning:
Hi Jill:
It's spectacular!!... and thanks again for allowing me to be a part of your wonderful project.
I've already received 5 positive compliments on your work on my face. And they're not from my family!
I'll make sure Stan gets there today!
Thanks again!
Frank 
 McLean Art Club Talk Scheduled for April 29!
I got a call today that the Washington Post and other publicity has listed me as the speaker tomorrow at the McLean Art Club. Oops! I'm scheduled for next month, April 29 to speak from 10:45 to noon about "Building and Growing Your Art Clan." That talk is open to the public and meets at the McLean Community Center, 1234 Ingleside Drive, McLean, VA. I believe that a calligrapher will be giving a demo tomorrow at that same location. I'll be talking ... again on April 29 ... on ways that I and some of my other fellow artists have been successful at generating enthusiasm and support for our art. Actually, that's got me thinking ... it would be great to share the talk with an artist buddy of mine. I wonder...

Register for Spring Classes and Workshop
I added info to the Classes page on my web site on my Spring Portrait Painting and Drawing class (Mondays for eight sessions, 10am-1pm starting May 2) and Still Life Painting class (Tuesdays for eight sessions, 10am-1pm starting May 3). I'm also offering my Mastering the Business of Art workshop in May. You can print a registration form also from my site. Space is limited ... but the school space will be expanded starting April 1 ... so more room!!!

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project: www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: