Monday, March 28, 2011

A Double Faces Day: Sandor, Age 4, Is Face #85

"Sandor: Face #85," oil, 12"h x 12"w, copyright Jill Banks 2011
Sandor, age 4, was this morning's face. He's Jerry Stocks' (Face #84) grandson and part of the South Carolina contingent that's arrived at my studio to become part of my 100 Faces project.

Make sure you take a look at both of my posts from today. Two paintings, two sittings to catch up on my 100 Faces in 100 Days Project.

I learned more about Sandor from observation than by listening. My hearing isn't perfect and Sandor's voice wasn't coming across loud and clear. His mom did some translating for him. By observation, I know he's crazy about fruit ... consuming fruit snacks, a banana, orange juice, an apple, passionfruit water, and an apple to go while he was here.

Sandor painting
He did end up watching a movie played on my laptop for part of the time ... the time that most helped me get his face on the canvas.

I showed him his face about five scribbles in and asked him what he thought. I don't think he was impressed yet. But, from that point on, when he checked out the painting was progressing ... he clapped. Well, I loved THAT!

What I heard most often from Sandor is "I want to get down," "I want to paint" and "Where are my shoes" because he wanted to go play outside on the playground we don't have. His mom did great ... keeping him together enough to help me out.

"Untitled," watercolor, copyright Sandor and Spencer 2011
I was reasonable with myself today... satisfied with what I could get. Can you imagine dealing with two sittings, two faces any other way?

Once I admitted I was done, I foraged through my art supplies and found some watercolor paints, paper and paintbrushes. Sandor was having a great time and ended up not wanting to leave. (I get that about painting.) His brother Spencer (tomorrow's Face #87) showed up with "Gam," his grandmother Jerry Stocks (Face #84) to go off and leave me to paint Sandor's mom.

So, next up came Sandor's mom, Ivie.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project: www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: