Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Diane Slafsky Is Face #46

"Diane Slafsky: Face #46", oil, 12"h x 12"w, copyright Jill Banks 2011
Diane was one of my very first volunteers ... emailing me right after I announced the project. Pretty brave woman! It took awhile before she sat for me ... because I painted her kids first, and she was incredibly flexible. It took some juggling to sit for me today. On her part.

Diane's very easy to talk to, open and thoughtful. I already knew she is a great mom since I witnessed it while her kids sat. I think she's also a bit of a philosopher. We'd talked about how amazing "regular" people are in that they manage the really hard parts in life. (Her words were better.) But, this project keeps hitting this home over and over again. So many people leading life with integrity; caring for loved ones; thoughtfully raising their kids; steering their lives in good directions; dealing with unhappiness or discontent or illness or whatever by figuring out a way to make the best of their situation; caring for ailing parents or kids with special needs; saying and doing what matters. Extraordinary daily acts.

One of the funny discussions was that both of us consider ourselves private people. (We were talking about Facebook which I'm a bit leery of  ... but that I'd like to reconnect with people from my past.) So, here I am writing a blog ... and here she is the subject of it. Something, perhaps, might be wrong with this picture.

I could write more and may. But not tonight.

See you tomorrow.

As usual you can read more about my 100 Faces in 100 Days Project on earlier blog posts (the project started January 1 and I announced it in posts during late December) and on my web site, 100 Faces in 100 Days Project page.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project: www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: