Thursday, March 24, 2011

Stanley Miller Is Face #81 Today In My 100 Faces in 100 Days

"Stanley Miller: Face #81," oil, 12"h x 12"w, copyright Jill Banks 2011
Stanley Miller is one more alumni from my parent's condo building ... and one more of their recruits for my 100 Faces in 100 Days Project. Yesterday's sitter, Frank Sagstetter, brought Stanley to the door today and I've been given an interesting glimpse into this very close-knit community having conversations with the two of them. My dad, Stanley and Frank are three members (out of about 12) of the condo poker club. Stanley is named as the Poker Czar, in charge of figuring out who is going to be there and dividing the group into two tables as necessary, etc.  From what I gather, this is only a teeny-tiny bit about poker and a lot about bringing together this dynamic group of good-hearted, noisy, opinionated, caring men.

If you're just finding out about this project for the first time ... in January 1 I started painting a "face" a day with the commitment to paint 100 Faces in 100 Days. I've asked for volunteers -- people willing to come sit for around four hours for me -- and talk about themselves, learn about painting and the artist's life. My motivations for launching this project include improving as a painter (which you do when you paint 100 of anything day after day), involving more people in art (something I love doing), and learning how to handle painting from life with moving, talking regular folks. I've had plenty of volunteers -- young, old, different shapes and sizes -- and every day my new face arrives at my doorway and a whole new set of discoveries unfold. It's been fascinating. A happy, different, interesting adventure for the sitters as well. (They tell me that.) No one needs to stay still and it's just fun.

I keep the paintings. I now have 81 of them and two exhibits planned so far. The first will be in May at the Great Falls Library in Great Falls, VA. I'll plan a reception and I'm sure some other events. Then I'll be exhibiting my 100 Faces in 100 Days again in the Great Falls Foundation for the Arts (GFFFTA) Gallery at the Artists' Atelier (1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA), the studio I share with 16 other artists. That exhibit will be in August.

 A pic of Stanley and me. I have green paint all over my face. Nice touch.
Back to Stanley... He was great company and liked his modeling gig. He wanted to make sure I had all the time I needed. He also told me (and my husband Randy) that I sound (talk, laugh) just like my mom and act a bit like my dad.

At this point in his life, Stanley is appreciating having a second chance to give back and care for his wife as wonderfully as she had cared for him throughout their marriage. His wife, Helen, has had medical and memory problems and needs Stanley's care. It's a blessing to him to be there with her, love and comfort her.

Stanley doesn't have a computer ... so will be seeing this only if someone else helps him to do so.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project: www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: