Friday, March 25, 2011

Studiomate Jennifer Duncan is Face #82

"Jennifer Duncan: Face #82," oil, 12"h x 12"w, copyright Jill Banks 2011
My title almost read #882 (I'm not much of a typist) ... versus Face #82. Can you imagine? I bet I'd be pretty good by then.

Mixed media artist and fellow studiomate Jennifer Duncan came and sat for me today. (By the way, she just updated her web site ... herself ... so go take a look.) She came armed with a sketchbook and a book she'd purchased at MOMA ... but what we mainly ended up doing is, you guessed it, talked. We've been studiomates for as long as there has been the Artists' Atelier. (Maybe six or seven years?) We're both founding members. Now, our studios are in the corners ... same side of the Atelier. My wall faces her wall. Jennifer loves color like I love color. I'm not sure whether or not I influence her, but she does influence me. Sometimes subliminally.

During these years together, we've seen each other grow as artists. Today, we were talking among other things about teaching. Sharing studio space among artists spurs growth among peers. We learn and inspire each other. We talk about techniques, art, tools, exhibits to see, thoughts about galleries, pricing, teaching, composition, directions ... and philosophies and family.

Jennifer said she didn't know how I could talk and paint. We (including she) do it all the time. Okay, sometimes we're quiet but it's natural to be focusing in on painting and still converse. And, I do say ummm alot during the important parts.

So, for my faces project, I'm still disturbed as I come down to the final days of my project that I cannot tell whether or not I've "got it" with my paintings or not. These alla prima (all at once, painted wet into wet in one sitting) portraits/faces are not going to be dead-on, accurate depictions of any of my sitters. I know that. But I want to know that the essence of that person, that recognizable part is there. Up close ... I just don't know.

I think this is a great painting of Jennifer. But all day, I'd see it. Then, I'd not see it. Up close it looked like someone else. What in the world is up with that?

On the thankful side, I am so appreciative of every person who has agreed to come and sit for me. They've taken a big chunk of their time and donated in this bucket called the 100 Faces in 100 Days project. That's amazing. Awesome. Thank you!!!!

Getting Ready for Exhibiting
It's funny to still be painting while figuring out how to hang my upcoming exhibits, but Randy and I found the perfect leather-like fabric to cover panels that will hold 9 of my faces each. We visited the JoAnn's Fabrics in Leesburg, VA. A great store. My "faces" look terrific on the one sample panel Randy put together.  Can't wait for you to see all of these 100 faces together. (I can't wait myself.)

Register for Spring Classes and Workshop
I added info to the Classes page on my web site on my Spring Portrait Painting and Drawing class (Mondays for eight sessions, 10am-1pm starting May 2) and Still Life Painting class (Tuesdays for eight sessions, 10am-1pm starting May 3). I'm also offering my Mastering the Business of Art workshop in May. You can print a registration form also from my site. Space is limited ... but the school space will be expanded starting April 1 ... so more room!!!


Some very full, challenging days are ahead. Really interesting stories. Stay tuned.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project: www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: