Sunday, March 6, 2011

Toren, Age 7, Becomes Face #63

"Toren: Face #63," oil, 12"h x 12"w, copyright Jill Banks 2011
Toren, my seven-year-old sitter today, has undoubtedly gotten more exercise during his "sitting" than the rest of my "Faces" subjects. He started out drawing comic strips on an easel in front of him ... as I worked on deciding what angle to draw his face. He almost became my first profile (in my 100 Faces in 100 Days Project). Then maybe a three-quarter view. Then this. What was clear is that I had a few more challenges ahead but I would just do the best I could.

After comic strips, Toren moved onto a skill game that I'd bought for (husband) Randy at Brookstone's a long time ago. That kept both Toren and his dad busy competing for the highest score. (Dad won.)

More time was spent with our slot machine (no money involved). Spying and sneaking up on us. Tickling. Laughing. Striking crazy poses and faces. Circling the studio.

One of the quieter moments...
So I'm happy to have found a semblance of Toren's face. I am relying more and more on my impressions, memory, glimpses.

Oh, I almost forgot. Toren came to the door equipped with an ice cream cone "gun". When he shot it the ice cream scoop would fly into the air until it reached the end of the string that attached scoop to cone. Shooting ice cream may have been the favorite activity.




Scene from my studio
So. Funny and fun day. Toren and his dad sure enjoyed each other's company. I'm even happy with the result and non-perfectionist Toren thought the painting was okay.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project: www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

2 comments:

Jerry Stocks said...

Am wondering how my grandchildren will do. Can't wait to find out.

Jill Banks said...

We'll be finding out pretty soon. I am painting a four year old before your grandsons' sittings will take place ... so I'll have a little bit more experience. I know that cookies don't help ... but snacks do. And for some reason I've done just fine in the craziest situations. We will have fun!