Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Vladimir Gribach Is Face #88 and Dreams of Future Paintings

"Vladimir Gribach: Face #88," oil, 12"h x 12"w, copyright Jill Banks 2011
A dozen faces left to paint.

Today's sitter for my 100 Faces in 100 Days project, Vladimir Gribach, is my dad's Russian friend. I've been dying to paint Vladimir since I met him many years ago. (So I was very glad when he volunteered to sit for my project.)

Ideas for Future Paintings
I'd like to paint Vladimir again. I imagine painting him creating something. Carving, or creating detailed bead and ornamentation work. Over the years, Vladimir's created gifts for my parents including a beautifully decorated bible and a beaded and painted egg. Can't you see a painting of him working away? After this project, I know I'll want some sort of break from faces ... but I'd like that painting to be one of my 2011 undertakings. As a testament that today went well, I believe that Vladimir agreed to sit for me again.

I'm also dying to paint my mom and dad playing gin rummy in one of their usual hangouts. (They always read my blog ... so this will serve as warning.)

For both of those, I will be taking my lessons from this project. I want to paint people from life without staging the scene or asking them to stay still. Paintings may need multiple sessions but I need the experience of being there and letting the painting evolve. A fly on the wall with an easel and paintbrush.

 Back to Today
"Robert," oil, copyright Jill Banks 2006
This painting just flowed through my brush. I loved painting today!!! This reminds me of a favorite painting of mine that I created during Rob Liberace's class many years ago of "Robert." Painting men with beards is clearly easier ... it makes chins easier to understand. It's just fun!

Vladimir and I had an interesting time communicating. With his accent and my hearing troubles, each topic took awhile to cover. We talked some about artists. I want the spelling and name of a Russian portrait painter he mentioned who painted the Kings and Queens of Europe with beautiful detail. Vladimir prefers the classical school of Russian art to the avant-garde. (His opinion is somewhat stronger than that.)

For a while today, Vladimir was drawing me while I was painting him. 

He likes to fish with his grandson Alex. His other grandsons have temporarily outgrown the activity.

Vladimir with the painter (as in me, Jill Banks)
There was a little worry that Vladimir would be able to sit still for that long. He passed with flying colors taking only one short break in our about three-hour session. I do get the feeling that I'm pretty entertaining while I paint. I'd squint at him and he'd squint back. He wanted to know what I was smiling about ... but I do that all the time. Perhaps I'm just begging for attention.

Vladimir's report on the painting: "It's me."

England, London and Art
I've got a trip coming up soon to England and husband Randy and I are in the throes of figuring out what we really need to see and do. Do any of you have particular paintings, museums, galleries that we simply must see -- in or around London -- that aren't on the usual must-see tourist list? Favorite towns outside of London we should take day trips to or places we should stay? We've got an extra four or five days to enjoy (in addition to a planned tour) ... and have never been to England. I'll be plunking myself down every day at some point to draw, sketch, paint ... and post on my blog.

100 Faces in 100 Days Exhibit at the Great Falls Library (Great Falls, VA) in May
Tentatively, I believe the reception will be Saturday, May 7 in the afternoon. I have Saturday, May 21 afternoon reserved as well for either a demo or talk. (Can't decide yet.) My web site will definitely spell out the details and is the best place to check for official word.


Register Now for Classes & Workshops that Start in May
Go to the Classes page on my web site. I'll be teaching "Portrait Painting and Drawing" on Mondays, 10am-1pm; "Still Life Painting in Oils" on Tuesdays, 10am-1pm and a "Mastering the Business of Art" Workshop on May 25 & 26, 6:30-9:30pm. Preregistration required.


Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project: www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

2 comments:

Cheryl K. said...

Hard to believe you're at Face 88 already - it will be a little sad for us, your readers, who will no longer be meeting your interesting subjects, like Vladimir - through your paintings and reports on the sittings!

Jill Banks said...

It is a little sad for me too but ... I don't think the journey's over. I have so enjoyed getting to know my sitters better and finding out something new every day. I'll figure out some way to bring future discoveries to you, conversations with other people, through this blog and my art.

Just a different rhythm and you'll see me work at figuring out where to go from here.