Saturday, March 12, 2011

Abby Hargroves Is Face #69

"Abby Hargroves: Face #69," oil, 12"h x 12"w, copyright Jill Banks 2011
Abby's the 17-year-old daughter of Cindy Hargroves (Face #21) and today was her day to sit. My younger sitters are more difficult to schedule than my older ones ... as they've got lots of commitments. Abby has three jobs, plus lots of responsibilities at school (head of the German Club, lots of volunteering). I'm thankful that my sitters have set aside time in their very busy schedules to be part of the project. Thanks to Abby and her mom (and all the rest of you)!

By this time, I've had quite a few sitters who had a hard time lasting through the session. For most, I'd say either the whole time or most of the sitting session has flown by. I find it difficult in some circumstances to be engaging and it was a little tough today. I have to discover some common ground and interests and that requires a good deal of energy. Just listening is easy.

I'm in tune with what's happening in front of me and work hard not to push my sitters too far. So I encourage stretching, getting up, moving around, offering  fruit, and figure out how to finish the painting in creative ways. And ... this project is about the experience for my sitters and me.

Audobon Society and Birds
I mentioned a program yesterday that I planned to attend about birds, bird anatomy and habitats with some opportunity to sketch thrown in. I admit to having very little interest in birds heading into this talk today. I'm so glad I went. What an outstanding program packed full of great info delivered by knowledgeable guides.

Our visitors from the Audobon Society
I don't have a sketch to show you today ... but I did make some "chicken scratches" in paint. Get it? Actually they were hawk scratches. Maybe I'll develop them more and then show you. Another day. Our live hawk visitor (who was waiting until it was his or her -- can't remember) posed for us. Four poses for a minute or two each. His/her handler said we were lucky because the hawk was in a calm mood. Beware the cranky hawk.

One funny note. When I arrived at the Atelier this morning as people were getting ready for the program, I saw the note on our only bathroom door that said "Do Not Use" and thought that could be a problem for the 25 or so attendees.  (I figured it was out of order.) Turns out the hawk was hanging out in there until near the end of the program. Wouldn't that have been a surprise to someone ignoring the note?

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project: www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Beautiful. You didn't write that you let Abby leave for a bit. Thank you for that.

Jill Banks said...

Thank you! This project involves lots of adjustments and figuring out how to make it work for each of my sitters. I thought a break would help and I'm getting very good at going with the flow.

Thanks for all you did today.