Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Hannah, Age 2, Is Face #73

"Hannah: Face #73," oil, 12"h x 12"w, copyright Jill Banks 2011
So my home studio today was filled with happiness called Hannah (and her mom, Christine). This is definitely FUN. And, fortunately, Hannah was having a good day. Just like with me, days can go either way.

Hannah's mom came equipped with a sticker project, favorite books, a picnic for her little grazer, a puzzle, crayons and a coloring book and perhaps a zillion other things. Christine was definitely the busiest of the three of us ... deftly shifting between activities and enthusiastically cheering Hannah on from beginning to end.

Not too far into the session, Hannah needed a bathroom break. Hannah and her mom had a conversation in there. Mom asked Hannah what she thought of the painting of herself. Hannah replied that "it was coming along quite nicely."

While I started painting standing up at my easel while Hannah was perched in a high stool, I shifted to sitting on the ground while Hannah enjoyed her picnic and coloring. The up and down that Hannah conquered with ease proved a bit slower and more groan-filled on my end. Older bones.

Hannah warmed up to me and this different place by the end. Matter of fact, she enjoyed hanging out in the family room after our painting session/sitting was through. Turns out lots of my stuff are perfectly suitable as toys. A silver angel, a variety of bunnies (stuffed, ceramic, wood), and a metal horse all were gainfully employed. It was really, really nice.

With all my talk about painting a four-year-old today, oops, Hannah happens to be two. Three in May. Hopefully she'll forgive me.

Thanks, Christine, for everything you did today!!!

And a note, I painted on this more from photos after the sitting although I liked the painting well when she left. It was just fun for me ... and the day danced around in my head.

Hannah checks it out
Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project: www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: