Thursday, March 10, 2011

Coty Dickson Is Face #67; 33 More Faces To Go!

"Coty Dickson: Face #67," oil, 12"h x 12"w, copyright Jill Banks 2011
Well, this seems sort of amazing. I'm two-thirds of the way through my 100 Faces in 100 Days Project ... at least the painting portion of it.

Coty Dickson, a fellow painter and Great Falls Studios artist, came to sit for me today. I was thinking it was a nice relaxing day, but for some reason I still feel like someone zonked me over the head. A nap sounds really good.

Coty's been studying painting and looks at each of her paintings as an exercise versus a potential masterpiece. The end result is not as important as the process and learning. I'd say that's the perfect attitude. Sure cuts down on frustration. Lets her enjoy her well-earned victories. And prepares her for a lifetime of painting and continuous improvement.

"Sargent's 'Repose" Study After Sargent, oil, 24"h x 30"w, Jill Banks
One of the greatest lessons has come from copying master paintings. (Artists through the ages, including the great ones have learned through this method.) Recently, Coty copied John Singer Sargent's great portrait "Lady Agnew." After our painting session, we took a tour around the house and I showed her my "Sargent" ... a copy I'd painted of his painting "Repose" that hangs in the National Gallery of Art in Washington, DC. Like Coty, I learned a lot from copying a great painting. Plus, the originals are simply gorgeous. Living with even a copy of them is a true treat.

Coty taking a look


Coty and I enjoyed talking about travels ... upcoming and past, lives of artists, interests. Her best travel advisor is her hairdresser who has steered her to go to China and Alaska. Both Coty and her husband have traveled to every state in the U.S. Coty crossed the finish line first.

And, this note came via email from Coty today (Friday, March 11):



Hi Jill,  

Dan and I love the blog posting.  He loves your interpretation of my face.  He can't believe you were able to capture me since my mouth is always in motion - talking!  Anyway, it was fun yesterday and I hope you had fun, too.  I know you were tired and I was, too.  Please tell Randy how much I appreciated the great lunch.  

I saw both Walt Lawrence and Begona Morton this morning and they both liked your likeness of me and we talked about our common experiences having our portraits completed.  All 100 of us will have to get together to compare notes once you have completed all of our portraits!
Coty






Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project: www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

1 comment:

Jerry Stocks said...

What a beautiful lady and you painted her so well.