Monday, March 7, 2011

Peter Elinsky Is Face #64 Today

"Peter Elinsky: Face #64," oil, 12"h x 12"w, copyright Jill Banks 2011
First, Peter Elinsky is best known with a smirk and a smile ... but this is my easier to paint version of him.

He agreed to sit for me last minute as I made my first double-booking error ... lining up two sitters for tomorrow and none for today. Yea for Peter!

Peter's wife, Elaine Elinsky is my studiomate and Face #58. I've known both of them for a long time now and have wanted to paint the two of them (actually together) for just as long. They are a great pair ... fun and interesting to talk to and hang out with.

At the beginning of the sitting today, Peter was sans hat ... but I think this hat was calling to me. I've only painted one other face with a hat on ... my Dad (Face #11) ... and you know I love that one! Right after I started painting Peter (while he was still hatless), I ran down to my studio in Suite D to grab a couple of paintings to check scale (the size and way I was placing Face #64 on the panel). One of those happened to be my painting of my Dad. Decision made. The hat had to go on.

We had a great time talking. I had a great time painting.

Taking a look
Peter's retired from KPMG ... and is one of those people who really makes the most out of each day. He's an adjunct professor at Georgetown Law; docent at the Holocaust Museum and tutors elementary school kids. He's passionate about each.

At the end of his sitting, after I photographed him with the painting, he wanted to see the painting of Elaine alongside his. He thought that someone looking at the paintings would figure that the pair of them were good people. Indeed they are. 

Oh ... and ... I just updated my web site's 100 Faces in 100 Days Project page so go take a look at all 64 faces with links from each photo to the blog post about my sitters. 

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project: www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

3 comments:

christine said...

What a fabulously interesting face!! I love the hat, the look, the whole package. Definitely one of my favorites.

Unknown said...

I love this picture! I think you captured him perfectly.

Jill Banks said...

Thanks, Rachel and Christine!
This is one of my favorites, too.