Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Old Brogue's Mike Kearney Is Face #66

"Mike Kearney: Face #66", oil, 12"h x 12"w, copyright Jill Banks 2011
Mike Kearney is Great Falls best-known face ... and personality. As owner of the Old Brogue Irish Pub (the neighborhood gathering spot in Great Falls, VA), he's met/talked to almost everyone in town. He's completely immersed in the community and works diligently to make our town a better place to live. (Go to celebrategreatfalls.org/index.html for more info.)

I was happy he wanted to sit for my 100 Faces in 100 Days Project.

His reasoning: The project sounded interesting. He'd never sat for a painting before. He figured I'd be good company. (I try.) It would be nice to do something different.

Today was another case of realizing that my sitter didn't know exactly what he had agreed to ... time-wise. Since this was the second time this has happened (in 66 sittings), I was cool as a cucumber and kind of sneaked reality in there. Mike adapted. (Sittings are for 3-4 hours. You do not need to stay still except very rarely. We just talk and I paint.)

While we've had many conversations in the many, many, many times Randy and I have eaten at the Brogue (over the last 23 years), I got to know him so much better this afternoon. His bio and road traveled make for a very interesting story. It was fun, too, to combine his experiences as restaurant owner with all the people I'm getting to know better through this project ... and it feels a lot like the six-degrees-of-separation thing.

When asked how it was going, I responded that I hadn't addressed his ears yet. Then I found out that Mike can wiggle his ears. Strange and not particularly useful but amusing talent.

We talked about having him hold up a pint next to his head. I suggested putting a Guinness sign back behind him. That actually would be a neat effect ... but painting a head a day is enough of a challenge.

Painting today was not a piece of cake. (Okay, it never really is ... but some days are harder than others.) I wasn't sure I had captured him but it was pretty close. Then what do I do? The painting falls and I try to catch it ... wearing a good bit of his face. It was funny, but it did take half of his eye off plus misplace a few parts.

Aiming for a solution, I pulled the mirror trick. Looked at the painting with Mike side by side in the mirror. He had to squat because he was too tall to appear in the mirror. Then tried to mimic the pose I chose by turning his head. Then squinted his eye so the half eye on my canvas matched the mirror image. I wish someone was in my studio to photograph that!

It was time to take a few photos and send Mike out the door. I gave him two full eyes. Fixed most of my mess. So here you have it.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project: www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

3 comments:

jbhbeloved said...

Wow, this is what you do after you make a mess. You are really good. I made a mess today too! Thank God I had someone to help me clean mine up!
Love,
Joan & Oscar

Jill Banks said...

I wouldn't have minded having a helper. I miss the two of you ... and your faces!
Love,
Jill

Jerry Stocks said...

Great painting even though I do not know this gentleman.