Tuesday, March 22, 2011

My Sister-in-Law, Cindy Banks, Is Face #79 and Still Life Class

"Cindy Banks: Face #79," oil, 12"h x 12"w, copyright Jill Banks 2011
Today was Cindy's turn to sit for my 100 Faces in 100 Days Project. I knew today was going to be tough (fun but tough) because it was the last day of my Still Life class with a little get-together after class ... and then a very late start on my face of the day at 3pm. Which means I'd be battling the fading light and I was bound to be pooped when I started. (True and true.)

I had a harder time with this one and I may still work on it some. But definitely not tonight. I was much happier with the painting at the end than the whole rest of the time. So that's a victory.

Cindy and I had a great time together and that's a whole lot more important that the painting struggle. She's good, easy company and we don't ever get a chance to just sit down and talk. Well, actually, I got to stand and talk. Whenever we're together we have "jobs" to do ... like cooking or entertaining or visiting with others. This was a welcome change.

Cindy's husband, Vardaman, was enjoying watching her reaction
One of the reasons this isn't clearly Cindy is that she's really quick to smile, talkative and energetic. All that had to pass through my tired paintbrush. So imagine her with a twinkle in her eye and a laugh about to burst. That would be her.







Still Life Class Today ... Register for Spring Classes
Today was a wild day, too, in Still Life class as we were doing some drills (value and color studies) with a bunch of instruction and help needed all class long. For the value studies, students needed to use one color from their palette plus white and mix up four different values to paint their still life. It's tough to see how the value of a slice of a grapefruit in the light compares to the value (how dark/light) of a teal piece of paper in the light. Interesting. I thought the results were great. I wish I had taken photos of some of them to post here.

I added info to the Classes page on my web site on my Spring Portrait Painting and Drawing class (Mondays for eight sessions, 10am-1pm starting May 2) and Still Life Painting class (Tuesdays for eight sessions, 10am-1pm starting May 3). I'm also offering my Mastering the Business of Art workshop in May. You can print a registration form also from my site. Space is limited ... but the school space will be expanded starting April 1 ... so more room!!!

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project: www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: