Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Spencer, Age 7, is Face #87 and Three Generations Head Home

On day eighty-eight of 2011, I painted my eighty-seventh face of the year. One more double faces day to go and I'll be all caught up.

"Spencer: Face #87," oil, 12"h x 12"w, copyright Jill Banks 2011
Seven-year-old Spencer was the last of his family to sit for my 100 Faces in 100 Days Project. He was in the chair before I was even ready to begin and read two books in a row. An alternative title to "Spencer: Face #87" would be "The Reader." He had received 23 books in the Magic Tree House series for Christmas and was proceeding to read them in order. Today's two were "Night of the Ninjas" and "Afternoon on the Amazon." "Afternoon on the Amazon" was his favorite so far.

Considering he read two books, conversation was brief but I know a few things. Spencer loves math. He likes art ... painting and drawing. He goes to an elementary school with an arts bent. Classes include music, art, dance, and theater. Next year, he'll have classes to learn the guitar. Pretty cool!

From observation, Spencer really loves being outside. Each visit to my home studio was started and ended with a walk around the perimeter of our property ... looking out into the woods. Perhaps an explorer? He's intrigued by the natural world.

He also was really intrigued by our pool table. I think he shares that fascination with most of my young visitors.

My three-generation family: Jerry Stocks (grandmother & Face #84), Sandor (grandson & Face #85), Ivie Szalai (mom & Face #86) and Spencer (grandson & Face #87) left the studio today to head back home. The painting part of the adventure is over. I love it that Jerry read about the project and wanted to take part in it ... with a good number of her family in tow. It required a lot of planning, driving, entertaining, energy and expense on her part to involve the family in this experience. Pretty amazing that my young sitters (these two and the rest of my younger volunteers) have been willing and happy to sit. Thank you!

100 Faces in 100 Days Exhibit at the Great Falls Library in May
My painting day ended early today. Randy and I had an easy, un-rushed lunch and I headed to the library afterward to pick/reserve some dates for my 100 Faces in 100 Days show in May (at the Great Falls Library, Great Falls, VA). Tentatively, I believe the reception will be Saturday, May 7 in the afternoon. I have Saturday, May 21 afternoon reserved as well for either a demo or talk. (Can't decide yet.) My web site will definitely spell out the details and is the best place to check for official word.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project: www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: