Saturday, January 1, 2011

100 Faces in 100 Days: Day One

"Dorry", 12"h x 12"w, oil on Raphael linen-lined board
 1/1/11

Kindly, Dorry became Face #1 today, sitting for me for over four hours. (Yea, Dorry!!!) I'm looking to paint whoever will agree to sit for me for the pleasure of doing something a bit different and talk art and life in the meanwhile. This project is one of my resolutions for 2011, a project that lets me enjoy painting people from life ... the most fun I get to have as a painter.

Yet, this is hard work. I did continue working on this after Dorry had left ... something I really don't want to do ... but I simply had to. I'm still a bit rusty having not been in a regular painting routine from holidays, house fixing-up, etc. It's funny how you have to relearn your own process and regain your painting "muscles" after a break. Okay, it's not really funny.

Dorry and I had an interesting conversation. Conversations flow easily when you're creating art. How many times do you spend four hours doing nothing but talk??? I swear that it's very, very good for the soul.

I am definitely looking for volunteers to fill in my calendar for 2011. A mom and daughter are coming tomorrow to sit and come Monday I have a chair to fill. Please email me if you're interested. Thanks!!!

I will be working on these alla prima (painted all at once, in one sitting) portraits and my other regular paintings -- so the portraits won't stop me from painting still lifes, NYC and Italian street scenes, etc. But, first I have to get this project well underway and manageable.

So, not yet.

"Dorry", 12"h x 12"w, oil on Raphael linen-lined board, copyright Jill Banks 2011.

And this just in... Dorry writes a blog as well and wrote about today's events as providing my First Face on the first day of the New Year. It provides an interesting perspective of just how much torture I'll subject you to.  Check it out here. Warning. I've been captured in my painter's smock. Several times.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

3 comments:

Dorry said...

Thanks Jill for giving me the chance to get your new project off the ground. It was a wonderful way to occupy the first day of a new year. Anyone hesitant about signing up to do this should have no fears; Jill does all the work and you just sit there and try to look pretty (or handsome, as the case might be!) I took the time to watch the Rose Frantzen video in advance and that was a good way to "cram for the test"!

Jill Banks said...

Thanks, Dorry. You were great company and did a great job looking pretty! Congrats on trying something new yourself.
Jill

Kerry Payne said...

Jill - you have captured Dorry's likeness so well (and I should know having been her sister for 5x years!)

I would possibly volunteer to be a subject but for the separation of some 8600 miles! If you get desperate I might consider a Skype sitting

Best of luck with your awesome challenge.

Kerry (New Zealand)