Thursday, January 27, 2011

Husband Randy Banks is Face #27 Today, Snow

"Randy Banks (husband): Face #27" Round Three. From 1/29/11
So we got whopped by some snow and ice ... so instead of painting Bailey's mom, Christine ... I painted my husband Randy who was sort of stranded with me.

Before I forget, I will not be speaking at the McLean Art Society meeting tomorrow am (due to weather and roads and school closings, I suspect). Another time. I'll keep you posted.

My painting of Face #27 is quite a conglomeration. Not sure how well I like it. I love him. (I may like this - again, don't know.) But this painting and our "sittings" haven't gone smoothly. It's not as easy to engage my own family as it is friends, acquaintances and strangers. I guess I've talked them out.

I had started this as practice before I began my faces project. I think on December 30 or 31 and it was absolutely awful. I had set up my easel way too close to Randy ... and it was that old "I can't see the forest for the trees" problem. Yuck. It didn't help a bit that I was about to launch 100 of these and hadn't figured out the problem. You need some sort of confidence when jumping off the high dive.

My painting of Randy on 1/27/11. Not so good.
Anyway, I left it until now because I figured I'd fix it and it would fill in when one of my faces couldn't show up ... or I couldn't paint. So I was working over a bad drawing (good drawing's depend on some distance from your subject or super skills) and my subject was yawning, diverted, falling asleep. (He's been working very hard on a renovation project and was out late last night retrieving our stranded daughter and shoveling the driveway this am -- so, reasonable to be falling asleep.) But it didn't help the painter and I relied on some photos to get the drawing in better shape.

So, there you have it. Husband Randy. Face #27. This is more detailed than all the rest -- so he'll stand out in the crowd. I prefer the more expressionistic, alla prima style -- but it was easy to apply the paint and get it to stick because the board had already had a layer of paint on it. A friend of our son Sam's is the subject for tomorrow.

Note: the painting at the top was my touched-up version on January 29 (two days later). The painting at the bottom is what I created on January 27 that pertains to this post. I know it's confusing.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project: www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

3 comments:

Christine said...

I like how you always seem to capture something in the eyes. Randy's are kind, adoring, just a hint of a smile. I really like it.

Anonymous said...

I'm in awe of your work and have enjoyed your blog on the 100 faces so much. Your commitment is inspiration to me. ... It was a pleasure to meet your husband.

Jill Banks said...

I've still got work to do ... on him. Poor guy. But I figured out what was bugging me ... and now hopefully I can get to it.

Julia and Christine,Thanks for following my 100 Faces ... and your comments.

Face #28 will be sitting in about 5 minutes.

Jill