Sunday, January 30, 2011

Pamela Grim is Face #30 and Sisters

"Pamela Grim: Face #30", oil, 12"h x 12"w, copyright Jill Banks 2011
Pamela Grim, sister of Marlene Grim (Face #29), came to sit for me today to become Face #30 (in my 100 Faces in 100 Days Project)... and Marlene came to keep her and me company. Funny, fun day.

Pamela's single.

Pamela works in the lingerie department at Lord & Taylor in Tysons. Since I don't spend a lot of time in the lingerie department ... I'd never met her but I would bet that should you be in need of some help in that department (no pun intended), that Pamela's who you should go see. She's FULL of personality, with a  great sense of humor (needed while shopping for bras and undies). Warm and calming. (Also helpful.)

When Pamela first came over, she met my husband Randy ... and he looked really familiar to her. "Had he shopped at the store?" Uh-oh.  He hadn't shopped there for me. (I'm kidding about the uh-oh ... Randy's the greatest husband on earth. He's not shopping for anyone else.) We decided he was a celebrity look-a-like. But Randy might suffer from my overly imaginative dream mechanisms.

We share a love of pickles. I used to get them as birthday presents from my friends. Still, when I go to lunch with others, I collect all the unwanted or not-wanted-as-much-as-I-want-them pickles from everyone's plate.

Pamela and Marlene are two of five sisters in their family ... and they get a huge kick out of each other. Actually, Pamela comes up with the funny stories and one-liners and Marlene encourages by being quick to laugh. The fun is contagious.

Pamela Grim (l) and Marlene Grim (r) hamming it up
Their mom passed away recently, and Marlene mentioned that her mom was the glue that held them all together. I really felt that their mom was there today, so clearly appreciating them and vice versa. I think the glue's going to stick just fine.

Pamela did try to have a discussion with me about what I ought to paint in and out ... lightheartedly, I think. I told her, kindly, that I wasn't taking any instructions today ... that I wanted to paint her the way I saw her. I want people who sit to see themselves through other eyes ... and I try to convey that as best I can in paint. I see people as a whole ... not bit by bit ... and my heart's almost always in gear focused on your personality and story.

That said, painting-wise, I had a little trouble with the panel I was painting on today. Paint was streaky and picking up more than I wanted it to. I NEED to get to the art supply store this week for brushes, paints, stuff. I'm flying through paint and wearing out my brushes. Important tools.

Tomorrow, I'm cheating a bit and painting Sue Bennett, one of my portrait class students ... who agreed to be one of my faces if I could paint her during class. So she'll be painting us while we're painting her. (I teach Portrait Painting and Drawing on Mondays through the Great Falls Foundation for the Arts)

Randy and I did spend the whole afternoon together ... buying a suit for him for Sam & Michelle's rapidly approaching wedding. (Which reminds me of another thing I gained from today's painting session. I showed Pamela and Marlene my dress and Pamela recommended that I get some pretty patent leather shoes ... dressy enough for such a special occasion.) We also did some shopping but the day wasn't completely crammed full.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project: www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

2 comments:

Nancy K said...

I recognized Pamela immediately from your portrait. Although I didn't know her name, I've been the recipient of her help at L&T many, many times. I'm sure you both had a blast!

Jill Banks said...

We definitely had a blast. And, I bet there are many people out there talking about how helpful ... and personable she is. It must come as a welcome surprise.

Jill