Friday, January 7, 2011

Face 7 Today, 93 Faces To Go

"Will Tuthill", Face #7 of My 100 Faces Project, 12"h x 12"w, copyright Jill Banks 2011

Today's "Face" (in my 100 Faces in 100 Days Project -- read more about this in earlier posts and on my web site) is Will Tuthill, an incredibly talented lithographer who also happens to be a fascinating person. Both of us are probably hoarse today (I know I am), because we're not used to talking this much.

Will actually has two eyes. Nice ones. But this shadowed side lends a bit of mystery (there is that about Will) and I like the lack of detail in the shadows. Just one interesting shape and every time I added a detail there ... it felt wrong and I took it out.

Sometimes I don't want to finish too soon, because I'm enjoying the process, the conversation, just painting. That was true today but I also had to get ready (sort of) for our First Friday Student Exhibit and Awards Ceremony that took place tonight. It was GREAT!!!

My New Faces Wall in My Studio
My New Faces Wall
Yesterday, Randy constructed some shallow shelves in my downstairs studio at the Artists' Atelier (1144 Walker Road, Suite D, Great Falls, VA) as a perch for my 100 Faces Project. Having just completed my seventh face in time for our studio's First Friday opening, it was I nice premiere of sorts. I can only fit 21 faces at one time ... so three weeks' worth but they are so much more powerful in person, and keeping each other company.

Recognize Dorry (Face #1)?
Two of my "faces" came to the party tonight: Dorry (Face #1) and Tina (Face #5 and fellow studiomate). How neat!

Student Show Awards Reception
The Great Falls School of Art's Student Show opened tonight with awards given in both the youth and adult categories. Our juror was Suzanne Twyford, an accomplished, award-winning artist who carefully considered her selections. Nancy Keane won 1st with her "Armillary and Peaches" painting and Begona Morton won 3rd with her painting "Waiting for Tea" -- both from my Still Life class. Both of these paintings are outstanding. Tough subjects. Big challenges. Huge lessons and a great payoff. (Two beautiful paintings and pushing themselves toward being better painters.) Congratulations!!! And congratulations to all the students who submitted work, took a class, and exhibited in this show.

Nancy Keane and family with her 1st Prize winner
Not to be pushy or anything, but my classes start next week (Monday, January 10 is the first day of my portrait class and Tuesday, January 11 is the first day of my Still Life class). There's still room in my portrait class. Get more info on my web site ... on the classes page.


Begona Morton and family with her award-winning painting

















Honorable Mention in This Month's Art League All-Media Membership Exhibit


My painting, "Sunflowers in My Studio," (24"h x 18"w, oil on linen, copyright Jill Banks 2010) won an honorable mention in the Art League show this month. My first award for 2011!!! Think that's a sign? I haven't seen the show yet, but I hear "Sunflowers" are hanging in a prime spot. There's an award reception next Thursday, January 13, 6:30-8:30pm that I may attend. We'll see. I feel a little bit like I'm running in a marathon with my Faces Project and am very protective of my energy level. I'm hoping that this will become more and more routine and easier for those paintings to just be one part of what I do each day. It's even been tough to grocery shop, cook, think ahead.


Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

1 comment:

Dorry said...

What happy news about your "Sunflowers In My Studio painting. Congratulations! The very first painting of yours that captured my attention was a still life, set up by your Dad, with a vase of sunflowers in it. Clearly, these are important to you and I love how you paint them.