Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Begona Morton Is Face #19 ... and Shopping

"Begona Morton: Face #19", oil on panel, 12"h x 12"w, copyright Jill Banks 2011
Now I'm really pooped ... and for good reason. I'm also really on a high, loving my 100 Faces in 100 Days project. Every aspect of it.

This morning Begona Morton sat for me and became Face #19. We had a LOT of fun. She's good company, and we just had lots to talk about. Begona's taking my Still Life class for the second time and she's passionate about art ... and about learning everything she can. So, we certainly talked art. But, we also talked about Spain (where Begona grew up) and some about Brussels and raising kids.

Oh, and this was the first time I neglected to inform a sitter which location I was planning to paint him/her at ... so Begona was at one studio and I was at another. Oops. There's only about 10 minutes between the two. Begona called me about 15 minutes after we were supposed to start trying to figure out if she had the right day. So, if you're scheduled to sit for me ... make sure we've agreed to where I'm going to be (home studio or the Artists' Atelier). I'll know my schedule better the week of the sitting.

Begona checking out her painting
I took over my application for a Strauss Fellowship grant to the Arts Council of Fairfax County. Today was the deadline (at 5pm). I had won a Strauss Fellowship grant in 2008, and recipients are eligible to apply again after three years -- so I qualify. Preparing the grant requires a lot of paperwork, time and thought ... so I'm glad to have it behind me. I asked for funds to support the creation, exhibition and book publishing for my 100 Faces in 100 Days project. Hopefully, the panel that evaluates the applications gets as excited about the project as I am. I really think they should be!

After that I went on a much-needed five-hour shopping trip. (The primary reason I'm pooped.) My son Sam marries Michelle one month from today and I needed a mother of the groom dress. So, I think I got it. I'm supposed to put on a "fashion show" tonight to get the opinions of the young folks around here who have better taste in clothes. I hope I pass!!!
Begona photographing the finished painting

Thanks, Begona for being such a wonderful sitter.








Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project: www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

1 comment:

brenda drake said...

Jill, You are awesome and amazing. Give you self a day off; does 100 faces in 100 days really have to be consecutive. I feel really guilty since I also planned to apply for a grant and let time slip away. Having watched your process online and sometimes in the Atelier I predict a huge leap forward in your work. You are such an inspiration to all of us. Bravo. Brenda