Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Today's Sitter (Face #26) Writes About Today's Session

Today's post is by a guest writer, Alex McVeigh, community reporter with the Connection Newspapers, who sat for me as Face #26. So here's his perspective on the day.
Today I was the 26th face in Jill Banks' 100 Faces in 100 Days project. I wrote a story about the project for the Great Falls Connection (link: http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/article.asp?article=347779&paper=88&cat=104), and so I had seen faces 1-13 on the wall a few weeks ago. It's pretty cool to see new faces added to the wall. 

"Alex McVeigh: Face #26", oil, 12"h x 12"w, copyright Jill Banks 2011
I greatly enjoyed having my portrait painted, other than a caricature when I was younger, I'd never been drawn before. And while as a kid the 10 minutes it took for the caricature seemed to take forever, this morning flew by. 

I met Jill at her studio in Great Falls. She mentioned that in her home studio, the subjects can see her painting the portrait in a mirror placed directly behind her. I wasn't able to see the entire making of the portrait, but we took several breaks, and I saw a few different steps on the process, which was very interesting. 

Stage 1 - Just the darks
The first time I saw it, she had only done the darks, so the right half of my face was in shadow and barely visible, while the left side was roughly drawn in. I'm glad I got to see the preliminary part, because as I observed the painting further down the line, it was fascinating to see how Jill added different features in, and what she chose to emphasize from that basic sketch. 





Stage 2 - Starting to add the lights
Jill mentioned several times that she wasn't sure if she would give me two eyes, as the shadow was obscuring my side of the face. That was in interesting concept to me, because when you see yourself in photographs, it's generally with a flash so there aren't many shadows across your face. It was a glimpse of what other people see in darker spaces, and it was neat to see what the light picked up and what the shadows blocked. 

It was also interesting watching Jill work, as she constantly moved her eyes back and forth between me and the canvas, making strokes every time her eyes hit the canvas. Sometimes after a few strokes she would look pleased, puzzled, or amused, so it was interesting to watch her react to how the painting came together. 

Alex with the finished painting
Overall, it was extremely fascinating to watch the painting come together, and I enjoyed talking to Jill during the process. I didn't have to freeze in one place, or with one expression on my face, so it wasn't difficult in the least. 

Seeking some outside input on the portrait, I sent a photo to my girlfriend, and she said she really liked the portrait, but that she thinks I'm "more handsome in person." I respectfully disagree with her, but I'm glad she liked it, because I like it too. 
Alex McVeigh
Community Reporter
Connection Newspapers
Back to me ... it was a pleasure talking to Alex today. There are many similarities between us, with the primary one being we're interested in other people's stories and getting to know them. He's an incredibly likable person. Great to be around. Interested and interesting. I had fun!

My 100 Faces in 100 Days Project will be exhibited at the Great Falls Library (Great Falls, VA) in May. I'll be keeping in touch with all the volunteers for the project on that exhibit and other events/news about the project as it unfolds.

Thanks Alex for sitting ... and writing about it.

Jill Banks
Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project: www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

1 comment:

Christine said...

I really enjoyed reading Alex's perspective. I hope the weather doesn't keep me away tomorrow.