Friday, December 31, 2010

Happy New Year!!! and "Piazza Di Michelangelo" Painting in Progress

"Piazza Di Michelangelo" work in progress by Jill Banks
Here's to a wondrous, happy, healthy, prosperous New Year! Thank you for all your tremendous support in 2010. You're wonderful!

I  couldn't let the last day of 2010 go without a post. I still want to sum up the year but I don't have my facts straight yet. Too busy getting ready and planning for 2011.

Practicing for Tomorrow
Today I was practicing painting faces for tomorrow's launch of my 100 Faces in 100 Days Project on a handsome face I know exceedingly well. Husband Randy's. That was nice but it gave me a sneak peek into just what I'm getting myself into. Tomorrow you'll see my real Face #1 who comes to sit for me tomorrow morning. I'm asking for volunteers to come to sit, let me paint from life and just enjoy the experience of being painted. For my practice today, I painted for four hours with a few breaks. I could have used more time but I hope to get the process down a bit. I ran into some troubles. Parts I like, parts I don't.

Want to Sit for Me?
I really need volunteers for sitting next week (starting Monday) and beyond. Read my earlier posts and email me if you're interested. Thanks!

At least one result I can imagine from my project is gaining the ability to teach one heck of an "Alla Prima Portrait Workshop". Think of all the lessons I'll have in my back pocket by my 100th portrait in a row.

"Piazza Di Michelangelo" and That Italian Light
So, the "Piazza Di Michelangelo" painting in progress shown here isn't what I worked on today ... but it is what I worked on the last three days. I'm really pleased with the way it's turning out. It recalls all the beauty I remember from visiting Florence. The place is so full of life. People just cherish the everyday. Here we are standing near one of the city's Davids, looking out over the red roofs beyond with the Arno clearing a path to the sky. My focus will be on the young boy on the far right. You can't tell yet ... but that's what's in my head.

What I love about this one is the quality of light. It reminds me of my "Italian Men", "Boats in Burano" and "Pizza and Pesce." So what is that, Italian light? I'm using the lessons learned in a Kim English workshop in Easton Maryland. 

This painting might get a new name. Don't know. But I'm thinking about it.

"Piazza Di Michelangelo" work in progress, oil on linen, 30"h x 24"w, copyright Jill Banks 2010?

I think 2011 is going to be AMAZING for all of us. Good amazing.

Oh and for those of you who want to be inspired, listen to Rose Frantzen's awesome talk at the National Portrait Gallery (58 minutes long -- be prepared) about her portrait project along similar lines to my 100 Faces in 100 Days project. She's inspiring. She's walking on cloud nine and I know she has really touched at least the 180 lives (her subjects in Iowa).

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: