Wednesday, January 5, 2011

What I Learned on Day 5 of My 100 Faces in 100 Days Project

"Tina Learned" is Face #5 of my 100 Faces in 100 Days Project
Well, today was a blast!!! I may soon be on fun overload.

Tina Learned, a fellow artist, buddy, studiomate sat for me today. She made the mistake of sending me an email yesterday (last night) saying she'd be willing to sit and asked when I would like her to come. I chose today. Volunteers get hired rapidly around here.

She was worried about being able to sit still and I think awfully glad that sitting still wasn't a requirement. (But she ended up being pretty calm and comfortable by Tina standards.)

This time I set up in my studio at the Artists' Atelier (1144 Walker Road, Suites D&G, Great Falls, VA) because I figured that was more convenient for Tina and we were doing receiving for the Student Show  from the Great Falls School of Art today -- and then hanging the show at the Atelier.  So, a change in venue was in order. There we had the added dynamics of numerous visitors, lots of artists in the Atelier, etc. It was a bustling place and Tina and I were still enjoying our own little world as a microcosm of that.

Two Tina's ... I don't remember her looking that demure.
So, what I learned today was:
  • I want to get a copy of "Real Simple" magazine and make the recipe for Chicken with White Beans and Tomatoes.  (Tina had a copy and was oohing and aahing about that one.)
  • This project gives me purpose and simply demands discipline. I know exactly what (actually who in this case) I'm painting the next day. I know when I need to have a clean paintbrush, prepared palette and canvas set up at my easel, ready to go. Once my painting session starts, I keep going until that painting is complete (with breaks for my models and me, as needed). There's no being sucked into a phone conversation, emails, social media, etc. I'm accountable to someone else and myself. Pretty wonderful, right???
  • I'm suddenly decisive. Any questions about what to wear or how's the hair or should I add a scarf -- I now know the answers. My instincts are taking over.
This alla prima (painted all at once, in one sitting) portrait was completed in two hours and forty-five minutes. It was easy, fun, no angst.

I'm getting fantastic comments on these posts plus a boatload of emails. You have no idea how excited I am to get my portrait volunteer emails. I have so many wonderful faces I get to look forward to paint!!!!! Thank you, all. I heard from Rachel's mom that Rachel (Face #2) is following my blog and progress and Rachel's mom is thrilled. Dorry's sister, Kerry, thinks I've captured Dorry (Face #1) to a tee and would be happy to sit except she lives 8000 miles away. Cindy Grisdela (Face #4) wrote a wonderful post about her sitting experience that you have to read. (Cindy's web site.) (Dorry did, too ... in case you missed it.)

I have tomorrow and Friday scheduled ... and have to schedule the rest of the 93 days ... although I'll do those a little at a time. I believe that I have around 32 volunteers (including the 5 faces I already painted) ... assuming that daughters, sons, husbands of those I talked to really agree to sit. Maybe more. But, there are 100 Faces ... so obviously I still need plenty more. I get the feeling that the more I do, the more volunteers will pop forward. This is just too much fun to pass up.

Read more about my project on my web site and on previous blog posts.

By the way ... I did do more today. I fit in many hours of painting on my "Piazza di Michelangelo" painting in progress and I may post again later today. I'm simply loving it and it makes me want to go back there (Florence, Italy) so much!!!!!! It's enchanting.

Or, I might just concentrate on my scheduling duties or some art business ... or fixing dinner and eating.

"Tina Learned: Face #5", oil on Raphael oil-primed linen-lined board, 12"h x 12"w, copyright Jill Banks 2011.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy wow! I had no idea the scale of these things, I assumed you were doing 18 x 20ish or so.

I love your series of portraits - even though I don't know the people you're painting. I wish I could sit for you too!

Looking forward to seeing more...

Jill Banks said...

I think that looks can be deceiving. I was very close to my painting and pretty far back from Tina. The painting's are pretty small: 12"h x 12"w.

I wish you could sit for me, too!!!

Dorry said...

It's a lot of fun to visit the blog each day and see the progress!

I keep meaning to comment on how much I enjoyed the long views I had of the "in progress" Piazza painting across your studio while I was sitting. I'm going to be looking out for progress reports on that one too as it looked pretty wonderful on January 1.

Jill Banks said...

Thanks, Dorry. I think I succumbed to the eating need instead of the posting need ... so more on the Piazza later ... as in tomorrow perhaps.

Your sister Kerry commented about post #1. Would be funny to do a portrait via Skype.

Jill