Saturday, January 29, 2011

Marlene Grim is Face #29 Today: 100 Faces in 100 Days, Day 29

"Marlene Grim: Face #29", oil, 12"h x 12"w, copyright Jill Banks 2011
Marlene Grim is one of my parents' neighbors ... and my mom suggested to Marlene that she'd be a great sitter for my project. Marlene did do great. I think she was surprised that I could hold a conversation and paint. I've been well trained for that, by attending classes for years, giving public demos, and working with other artists in joint studio space. Sometimes I need to concentrate (quietly), but conversations are part of the rhythm of painting for me.

The conversations also serve a purpose here. To let me get to know my sitters better. Let them relax and enjoy themselves. Keep them engaged with me. I love listening to other viewpoints and perspectives on life.

Many of my sitters see themselves as non-artists. They can't draw and admire others' artistic talents. The ability to draw and paint has almost nothing to do with talent. It can be learned. Just as you don't know how to drive a car or ride a bike or swim or do a calculus problem through natural abilities, you must also study, practice, learn, be taught to paint or draw well.  You can master it ... a bit at a time. Or learn a little, and have fun just sketching what's around you.

This painting progressed well throughout the afternoon. Before and after Marlene's sitting, I worked on Randy's (my husband's) face. Poor guy. But I think it's better. I can see the kindness and good cheer in him. I need to step back. I did leave his painting in the studio to keep myself away from it. Tomorrow I paint at home ... Marlene's sister, Pamela Grim.

I do see myself improving. That doesn't mean I'm only going to have good days. But, I'm solidifying the process, understanding when the drawing (darks/lights) leave me ready to proceed, and make any helpful adjustments (process, setup, lighting, distance from subject) more fluidly. I'm just more at ease.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project: www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: