Tuesday, January 4, 2011

100 Faces in 100 Days: Day Four "Cindy"

"Cindy," 100 Faces in 100 Days, Day Four, 12"h x 12"w, oil on panel
Today's volunteer for my 100 Faces in 100 Days Project is Cindy Grisdela, fellow artist, friend and oftentimes cohort in Great Falls Studios art shows and other regional shows in the DC area. Cindy's award-winning work ... she creates art quilts ... is stunning. We've had many booths side by side which is a joy. First, we're friends. Second, her work shows beautifully and our work looks great together. You'll need to go to her web site and blog and just see for yourself.

This is another one that I painted and worked on a bit after our session. We talked and laughed enough during the session, I just couldn't "commit" to Cindy's mouth. A serious expression wouldn't do. So, here it is. A good depiction of today's visit.

Not like you can tell, but this is me painting Cindy. Time to straighten up the studio.
Two comments. One, I asked Cindy what made her volunteer to sit for my project ... and the answer was that one of her New Year's resolutions was to try something new this year. (That's one part. There's more.) I know I'm only in Day Four and son Sam was told he had to sit for me ... but this is a common thought. This is a different experience and most who know me or my work figure that I won't screw up the task completely...  I think, on day four, no one regrets their decision yet. (So email me to volunteer. I need 100!!!)

Second, Cindy and I sat down for a snack after the painting session and I put placemats on the table. Cindy was examining them carefully. They were quilted! My observation: artists look at everything in the world with such a different eye. It's just that much more fascinating. When was the last time you looked at the stitching on a placemat?

Read more about my project on earlier posts. (I also just added a page to my web site about it ... which I'll update from time to time with new faces and info. See a link from my home page.) Still looking for plenty of volunteers. Interested? Email me. Also, my classes (portrait and still life) start this coming Monday and Tuesday, January 10 & 11. See more info on my web site, classes page.

"Cindy", 12"h x 12"w, oil on Raphael lined board, copyright Jill Banks 2011.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

3 comments:

Dorry said...

I love this one Jill and Cindy! A great toothy grin as well.

christine said...

I really like this portrait. Even before the entire picture was visible, I could see a smile in her eyes. I can imagine both of you sharing lots of laughs during your session.

Jill Banks said...

I loved these comments. Cindy and I are sort of made from the same cloth, so to speak. I hope I don't get stitched.

We had a great time! Seems (seams) it was evident.