Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Trish Gaitan is Face #39 Today

"Trish Gaitan: Face #39", oil, 12"h x 12"w, copyright Jill Banks 2011
It's tough to be original on these titles. I guess that's obvious.

This morning I taught my Still Life class. While teaching is tough on "top" of a life of painting and life, it's also fantastic. I have the greatest group in both of my classes (Still Life and Portrait) and everyone looks forward to class day and enjoy each other ... plus learning ... plus, I think, hanging out with me. It's a real joy. Today was "super" great because Barbara Marhoefer, one of my students and one of those people who's great to be around, returned to class for the first time this session. She's been in Florida and she set up a Florida still life replete with a bowl she carried from there to home to be painted ... only to have slipped and fell when she got home. So it's been glued together... minus one triangle and will make it into what looks to be a full of life, happy, citrusy painting.

Trish Gaitan with painting
This afternoon was dedicated to painting Trish Gaitan, who is a friend of Tina Learned (Face #5) ... who I met at this past First Friday's reception for the opening of Tina's show and the Bird Show at the Artists' Atelier (my shared studio at 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA). Trish was happy to become a part of my 100 Faces in 100 Days Project. It just seemed interesting to her, something different, unexpected. Trish has an MFA and has concentrated on the design/graphics end of the arts spectrum but loves painting, appreciates art, wants to get back to it someday. I used to live a "corporate life", running a business, meeting with clients, managing people. What I do today is so different. Through Trish's eyes, I realized that coming to be painted ... sitting in a professional artist's studio and getting a glimpse into this unusual way of life is an interesting diversion. A treat. Hopefully, inspirational in some way.

I could write a lot about today. I really enjoyed my time with Trish and it was truly inspiring for me and thought-provoking. But ... I need some rest, relaxation. Down time. So. I'll do that.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project: www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: