Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Christine Flack Is Face #51

"Christine Flack: Face #51", oil, 12"h x 12"w, copyright Jill Banks 2011
I was very happy today to get a chance to visit with Christine. Christine is Bailey's (Face #16) mom ... and she used to work with me ... long, long ago.

We had fun chatting but my painting wasn't going so well. Glitch, glitch, glitch. I know Christine's face ... sometimes a problem ... and she just wasn't peeking back at me on my canvas. She's expressive. Laughs very easily. I must have been pretty funny. I tried to paint her mouth closed ... but both of us knew it just never was that way.

She sat for a long time and eventually I sent her away go I could face my painting demons all by myself. She had been there not to have the perfect painting of herself created ... but for the two of us to enjoy each other's company. Which we did. But, I still needed to find her face in those puddles of oil paint.

So I worked away. I took quite a few photos ... fashion click, click, click style ... and her face looked different in every frame. Completely different ... but there wasn't a single photo with her mouth closed. I gave in. If I was actually going to paint an alla prima portrait of Christine the way she really is ... she was going to have a smile on her face.

I see her in there better now.

Funny thing was, today, Christine kept "seeing" herself on my canvas as reflected in my studio mirror. But she also saw it wasn't as clear when standing in front of the painting.  That means something was right all along ... just not everything.

Face #52 ... tomorrow ... is one of my reluctant sitters. I did a lot of negotiating to get him to volunteer. I think he has a great face. Let's see how paintable it is.

Addendum: Christine writes a blog ... and you can read some of her comments from today and yesterday there at http://blog.halfbakd.com/
Plus, here's an excerpt from her email to me...
"I LOVE IT!!!! I'm right there looking back at myself. I can't wait to see me in person. It feels kinda funny talking about myself like this...but I look vibrant and fun. I always find it very interesting to hear what other people think of me (it never seems to match my own opinion). Not that what people say is bad, just different. I love what you see in me. You have always brought out the best in me.

I had so much fun spending the day with you. I miss it."


Christine's a person I love to be with and really admire. She's truly great. Someone you should meet.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project: www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

2 comments:

Christine's Aunt Jane said...

Yup! That's Chrissie! Can't hide the joy!

Christine's Aunt May May said...

Hi Jill, this is Chrissie's Aunt May May (LOL).

The picture of Bailey was nice but the one of Chrissie is fantastic. You are so right about her. She is probably the only person, other than my husband, that I enjoy spending large amounts of time with.

She is so giving and so joyous and I love her dearly. A picture of her without a smile would have to be a picture of her asleep. And I bet she smiles then too.

She used to call my daughter Kitty her 'giggle'. Chrissie is my 'feeling of youth and joy'.

Good luck with your project.

Anna M. Bowen