Saturday, February 12, 2011

8-Year-Old Jack is Face #43

"Jack: Face #43", oil, 12"h x 12"w, copyright Jill Banks 2011
Jack, age 8, came to sit for me today. My 100 Faces in 100 Days Project is part experiment ... to see how "possible" it is to engage and paint somewhat moving targets ... of all ages. The experimental nature of it seems more evident with young sitters. I do occasionally consider what a mom thinks when I suggest a three to four hour "sitting" for their kid. I can imagine the conversations going on in households around here. ("What? Is she nuts?" comes to mind.)

What's nice about sitting for a painting ... versus sitting for a photo shoot for a painting ... is that the subject is involved in the process. It gives insight into what goes into developing a painting. It gives the sitter a chance to relax and become his/her self. 

Kids race (and parents race) from one activity to another. Homework's substantial. Running a household is complicated. Weekend's are jam-packed. I'm really grateful that Jack's mom and dad made time to bring Jack here to spend the morning with me.

Part of what I do is talk to my sitters -- to learn about them and interact. To teach and listen. Jack doesn't talk a whole lot. He's quiet and I don't hear very well. Interesting.

What I now know about him is that he likes to watch TV and play video games. He loves skiing and roller coasters. He's a daredevil of sorts ... within reason. His plan is to ride the fastest rollercoaster, and the biggest.

Jack brought along a book, "The Battle of the Labyrinth" by Rick Riordan and Jack's mom and dad took turns reading it to him (and me). We both enjoyed it. I was struck while being read to how much I turn words into visuals. I hadn't really thought about that before. I could see each scene. A tribute to the writer but also a weird way my brain works.

This painting proceeded well and easily and then I got hung up in the finishing process. I couldn't do that "live." I'm sensitive to when I've pushed (a sitter) as far as helpful. At a certain point, if a sitter's tired or I'm not progressing in the painting, I "call" the session and finish up from photographs and memory. I had a little more to do on this one when I walked Jack and his dad to the door ... but it was time.

I'm glad that Jack agreed to sit. He had to work hard today. (So did I ... but it was my idea.)

1 comment:

Dorry said...

Well done Jack! You must have been a great sitter for our artist Ms Jill because she painted a wonderful portrait of you. I especially like how your hair has been painted.