Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Frank Gugino Becomes Face #33: One-Third of the Way!

"Frank Gugino: Face #33", oil, 12"h x 12"w, copyright Jill Banks 2011
My eye is on the journey for my 100 Faces in 100 Days Project -- not on getting through. Still, in the last 33 days, I painted 33 faces and got to know 33 people better. So, a special occasion today. Another milestone.

Frank Gugino (Face #33) is Patti Chisholm's (Face #17) husband. Frank is now officially added to the list of people who commented that time flew by.  We talked about a whole bunch of things ... family, cooking, background, work, art (Patti is a professional artist), interests, travel, and a little bit of history (one of Frank's passions). Plus, I got a recap of Frank and Patti's adventures in Italy when Frank was able to get acquainted to some relatives in the town his grandparents had emigrated from to the U.S. I'm listening and talking while I paint -- but I miss parts of the discussion, and repetition helps.

Photo time.
We talked about artists going off in all sorts of new directions ... constantly. Always trying new things. Spouses often encourage a continuation in one direction ... creating more of those pieces that appeal most strongly to them ... or others. That makes an awful lot of sense to all non-artists. If we stuck to one thing (a subject matter, media, process), we are apt to get better at it. (I'm improving through my 100 Faces in 100 Days Project.) But, we need to be thrilled by what we're doing. There needs to be variety and change, too.

The last time that I really stuck closely to one theme (subject matter or idea) was in preparing for my solo show at the Art League, "Place Settings" in January 2008 of people (friends, family, strangers) enjoying each others' company over a meal (restaurant and cafe scenes). If I hadn't had to present a proposal, get juried in and be held "accountable" by the Art League gallery staff, I wouldn't have pursued such a defined focus. The paintings in that show still remain as some of my favorites. My best. So the discipline paid off for me -- but it was difficult and I was dying to pursue other genres in the end.

We're tough to herd. We can learn by sticking to something. We thrive on variety, challenge and change.

My 100 Faces in 100 Days is "herding" me  (I'm accountable to you by resolving to do this and these daily posts). I am learning by painting one face after another. And, I'm challenged everyday with a brand new face and person to get to know.

Adam's Art Class Tunes into the Blog

When Adam's (Face #32) mom offered to show Adam the blog post starring him earlier today, he told her he'd already seen it. Adam told his Art class teacher about sitting for my Faces Project and she pulled up my blog. It was a hit ... and fun for him.

The Bird Show

"Wild Turkey", oil on linen, 12"h x 12"w, copyright Jill Banks 2011
Today, Randy and I hung the rest of the Bird Show at the Artists' Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA. Atelier artists painted/photographed/created artwork that spotlights seven bird candidates for the official town bird. Candidates include the pileated woodpecker, Great Blue Heron, Eastern bluebird, wild turkey, red-shouldered hawk, American goldfinch and a ruby-throated hummingbird. Studiomate Jennifer Duncan created a piece with all seven of the birds hanging out together ... in a way. Got to see it. An opening reception is this coming Friday, February 4, 7-9pm. The Atelier is also open Saturdays, noon-4pm. Stop in and see the birds ... and my wall of, now, 33 faces.



"Eastern Bluebird", oil on linen, 12"h x 12"w, copyright Jill Banks 2011
I put two paintings into the show ... so far. My thought is that we would keep adding to it. Great Falls Studios and the National Audobon Society are behind this search and vote for an official town bird. There are many art-related activities up Great Falls Studios' sleeves. Check out their web site: www.GreatFallsStudios.com for more info on the Wings Over Great Falls project.

See you tomorrow with a fresh Face!

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project: www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

2 comments:

christine said...

Wow. Busy busy. I love Frank's face. So much character. And the birds. Exquisite. You really have an amazing talent.

Jill Banks said...

I never would have thought of painting birds ... Had to be pushed. But it's a bit relaxing after all these faces. Who knows whether or not I have it "right?"

Frank's face is great. So much fun to paint!