Sunday, February 27, 2011

Mary Suib Is Face #56

"Mary Suib: Face #56", oil, 12"h x 12"w, copyright Jill Banks 2011
Mary Suib came to sit for me today ... and we had an awfully lively conversation. Mary's an actress and I was struck with the similarities between theatre and visual arts. For example, performing is something she simply has to do.

We talked about our "highs'" being when we really touch people ... leading them to cry or laugh or hold onto something that we do.  How those "highs" are rare ... but a feeling that we're always seeking.

Mary really works at all aspects of her craft including marketing herself as an actress to get the roles, perform memorably, which in turn helps her get more and better roles. Sounds familiar.

While I was painting, Mary was acting for me ... changing her voice to project a different personality and mood. It works. Pretty interesting when you can change yourself in an instant into someone else. I wondered how you deal with that knowledge. Do you work then on projecting a better you?

Mary with the painting. I love this photo! Gives you a hint about the day.
She studies people just like I do but for a different reason. We imagined a coffee shop filled with painters imagining how to paint the patrons, actors imagining how to play their parts, writers conjuring up their lines.

Again, today I was a little off. Needed to adjust and did.

100 Faces Project Page Updated on My Web Site Two Days Ago - Take a look
Read more about my 100 Faces in 100 Days Project on earlier blog posts and on my web site: www.JillBanks.com on my 100 Faces Project Page (link to it from my home page). 

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project: www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: