Sunday, February 6, 2011

Nancy Keane is Face #37 Today

"Nancy Keane: Face #37", oil, 12"h x 12"w, copyright Jill Banks 2011
Nancy Keane, artist and student (and mom and tennis player and world traveler, etc.), came and sat for me this morning. Having nothing to do with my sitter, I was sluggish. So a great face took me awhile. I actually scheduled two sittings today ... one for the am and one for late afternoon ... and as Nancy left, sitter #two arrived. I'm looking to get ahead a bit so that you'll continue to see a face a day, every day. Hmmm. Who thought this through?

(My photo from today wasn't great... My camera settings have seemed off for a week or so. I'll try again soon.)

Nancy and I had a good time together ... as I knew we would. She's someone I really like and respect whether she likes it or not. Everyone sitting knows that I talk about the sitter ... parts of our discussions or what conclusions or thoughts those discussions lead to ... in the blog post about them. Not all the time, but sometimes, Nancy would say something and then say, but "that's not for the blog." Funny. But I respect that, too. It's just between you and your painter.

This week, Nancy heads for India for what's bound to be an amazing trip. We talked about other travels, why she goes where she goes. I learned a bit. One, Nancy figures out what will be enjoyable about a destination for her husband and her son ... making sure everyone has some highlight for the trip. (India's not a family trip ... just her and a girlfriend.) Second, she works to bring something back from each place. A special custom or food ritual ... like mint tea from Morocco or making limonade a la Paris.

Sounds like a good idea. One of my favorite comments from Terri Parent after she "returned" with her husband from a trip to Italy ... is that they"never left Italy." They brought it home with them. Why not?

Nancy was interested in the process from beginning to end. Taking photos of the painting all along the way. No matter whether my sitter is an artist or not (Nancy is), I want him/her to experience the work in progress. This is a collaborative process. So much more fun when there are two workers: both sitter and painter.

Time for bed.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project: www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

1 comment:

Nancy K said...

Great fun to be part of the "Faces" project! Loved the painting, the chit-chatting, and seeing so much more of your artwork. Looking forward to the next 63 faces...