Monday, February 21, 2011

Half Way There! Barbara Marhoefer is Face #50!

"Barbara Marhoefer: Face #50!", oil, 12"h x 12"w, copyright Jill Banks 2011
Today was a wonderful day! Perhaps my most leisurely day of 2011 -- the only "real" thing to do on my agenda was to paint face #50 ... who happens to be Barbara Marhoefer, Ben's (Face #49) grandmother, my diligent and quick learning painting student and my parent's (Faces #8 and #11) neighbor. One of my sitters suggested that when I do exhibit all of these paintings together ... that I should run string from one painting to another to show all the ways (that I know of...) these people interconnect. I love being around Barbara. She's one of those great spirits. I'd be willing to pay for one of her grins.

There's a whole lot to her.

Having her as one of my students is a learning experience for me. She regularly writes me notes/emails after a class to tell me what she learned that day. It's nice to have a recap and often I didn't even realize that what she learned was something I was "teaching."

Last semester, it was Barbara who brought in the magnolia leaves, pods and gourds ... that I also painted to become one of my favorite still lifes. Barbara would go "find" some magnolia leaves and pods each week to replenish their withered friends. This semester she brought in all this citrus including Meyer lemons back from Florida with her ... along with a painted bowl with tropical motif (fish) ... that's turning into this powerfully happy painting for her and fellow student Francie.

Barbara Marhoefer, Face #50 with her painting
Barbara was (a little) worried what we'd talk about during the sitting. If you are one of my future sitters ... and you're worried about this ... quit thinking about it. It's a piece of cake. There's just lots to talk about and it's easy, comfortable, fun.

Barbara's an accomplished writer and researcher ... among a host of other things. She wrote a book about her town on the Eastern Shore (MD) and we talked today about her fascination with pioneers of all kinds. I feel another book percolating ... bubbling up ...

Today was wonderful. It felt as good to get back to my faces project as it did to step away from it this weekend to concentrate on (son) Sam and (now daughter-in-law) Michelle's wedding. I've accomplished a great deal already this year and February's not even over. I have 50 faces ... now painted ... to look at, ponder and enjoy.

Barbara mentioned that having now painted 50 faces, I would know that I could complete this project. I actually never doubted that. I just embarked on this project knowing I'd reach the end but didn't know the "journey." It's been absolutely wonderful so far. Such a treat for me ... and such a treat for a whole bunch of other people including readers, sitters and friends of my "faces."

I am not caught up on a painting a day ... but will accomplish 100 faces in 100 days. If something ... like a very, very special wedding, or snow or the flu, etc. mean I can't paint (a face) one day ... I will catch up another. I'm two faces behind but not for too long.

Read more about my (Jill Banks, Face #100) 100 Faces in 100 Days Project on this blog (all posts since January 1, 2011) and on my web site (www.JillBanks.com) on my 100 Faces Project Page. (I need to update with Face #43 on... sometime soon.) All paintings are created alla prima (painted all at once) from live sittings by my volunteers who give three to four hours of their time (approximately) in exchange for the experience and to be part of my project. (And to help me do what I love to do ... paint them!!!!)

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project: www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

4 comments:

Cindy said...

Love the string idea! I never told you that I know Nancy Keane (#37). Maybe she told you. So I know a bunch of your faces. Congratulations on #50.

Jill Banks said...

I know some of the connections ... but I know it is a subset of them all. Another interesting part of this project for me and others.

I can't believe that I've already painted 50 "faces." Wow.

Nancy K said...

Lucky you to spend an afternoon with Barbara.

Jill Banks said...

I know. Pretty good idea to dream up this project so I can talk to such neat people.

Welcome back, Nancy!