Thursday, February 24, 2011

John Smith Is Face #53; 47 Alla Prima Portraits To Paint

"John Smith: Face #53", oil, 12"h x 12"w, copyright Jill Banks 2011
John Smith was one of my very early volunteers and he picked ... a good while ago ... this particular date to sit for me. We had an excellent time from beginning to end, and although I didn't bring out his inner George Clooney, he approved of both the process and the painting.

This is actually the third time he's been painted because he hangs out in artist circles. (Watch out for that. We're always on the lookout for faces.) His previous two painting sessions were caused by Tricia Ratliff, an artist friend of mine.

John's painting took exactly three hours with breaks and a leisurely stroll down to my home studio. The painting came together naturally, comfortably. I wish I could figure out why that is some days and not others and package that knowledge up. But, no. The secret remains with the painting gods.

My grisaille sketch. This is how the painting started.
John Smith with the painting of Face #53
I really am working at doing something different with this 100 Faces in 100 Days Project. I'm in training to be able to paint the subjects I want to paint ... from life. My goal is to be able to paint groups of people ... in comfortable settings ... without anyone posing or staying still for me so I can capture "real" life. Maybe that can work? Should be fun trying.

John and tomorrow's sitter, Janet, are a couple. John told Janet to prepare to have fun sitting and told me to be prepared for Janet to try to usurp my kitchen. She loves to cook and doesn't have enough space at her place. (Ours is pretty darn nice.)

Okay, time to wash brushes. Slow down. Take it easy. Get ready for tomorrow.

Read more about my 100 Faces in 100 Days Project on earlier blog posts (there are 52 of them starting January 1) and on my web site: www.JillBanks.com on my 100 Faces Project Page (link to it from my home page). 

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project: www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jill, thanks so much for making my sitting for this portrait such a fun experience and for doing such a fine portrait of me, despite its uncanny lack of resemblance to George Clooney. You have an amazing gift. I look forward to following the evolution of this ambitious project.

Best,
John Smith