Saturday, February 19, 2011

Sam and Michelle's Wedding Day and Face #48

Sorry for the two days’ of silence. I’m enjoying and busy with all the festivities/family time surrounding my son Sam’s wedding/marriage to Michelle. The big day is today! I’ll tell you all about it later.

We’re staying in this wonderful spot … but I’ve been Internet free. Today’s post is coming to you via Panera.

Come Monday, I’ll be two days’ behind on my 100 Faces in 100 Days Project … but that will be caught up with two sittings in one day … twice … sometime between now and April 10.

"Doris Leadbetter: Face #48", oil, 12"h x 12"w, copyright Jill Banks 2011
My greatest thoughts for today are about how thoroughly HAPPY I am about Sam and Michelle’s marriage. These are two terrific people … and to know them is to love and admire them. They epitomize youth at its very best … goodness combined with endless energy. How great is that?


Face #48: Doris Leadbetter
In preparation for this weekend (I didn’t bring my paints – it’s time off), I painted two of my faces in advance.  Doris Leadbetter agreed to sit for me on an afternoon when I had some extra energy. Doris’ daughter Jenny played softball with my daughter Sarah at Langley, and Doris was the mom who always knew what she was doing. She was in charge of snack sales, scoring, awards nights, etc.

Our conversation during the sitting reflected our changing lives … with grown kids and changing roles. As today I’m taking on the new role as mother-in-law, both Doris’ son and daughter are getting married soon and she’ll be adopting that title, too.

Doris is looking to rediscover her creative side. She’s long been involved in the arts movement in Great Falls … and just wants to pick back up on that somehow. I encouraged that. Surprise, surprise. To everyone: take a class, try something new, build a new passion. All you have to do is make a small start.

Adding To Our Family ... And Being a Mother-In-Law
Welcoming Michelle into our family means I'm now a mother-in-law.
 
For some reason, I’m thinking that I’ll be a pretty good mother-in-law. Michelle’s mom and dad are terrific … so Sam’s getting great in-laws. Sam and Michelle are both incredibly capable … they won’t get an overdose of advice. I’m more likely to ask them their opinion. I’ll help whenever they both want it. I love them both … and will welcome whatever time they spend with us. I hope that’s lots, of course … and they seem to plenty willing to share themselves.  They are so much fun to be around.  I realize they now have plenty of relatives, friends, obligations … all that. We’re lucky to be part of their family.

My goal is that communication will be very open … both ways. 


I'll post Face #49 tomorrow ... of Ben, age 13 ... once I return home. Plus, some news from the big weekend. Lots of joy!


Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project: www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435 

3 comments:

jbhbeloved said...

Congratulations to the Banks family on the wedding of Sam and Michele. . . and you and Randy are going to be marvelous in-laws!
lovingly, Joan & Oscar

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you, your kids and your family! I am happy to hear you gave yourself a break. Thanks again for such a great experience -- you are more than halfway there! ;) Trish

Jill Banks said...

Thanks Joan, Oscar and Trish. It was a wonderful wedding and great celebration of a very beautiful couple. It was heartwarming, to be sure.
Jill