Tuesday, August 14, 2012

You're Not Disturbing Me

"Ride 'Em Cowgirl" work in progress day two, oil, ©Jill Banks 2012
During yesterday's hours at the Torpedo Factory (105 N. Union Street, Studio #333, Alexandria, VA -- where I'm a guest artist for the month of August), a nice visitor named Alan stepped through the doors of my studio, but not until after another Art Center artist announced "Come on in. We're not charging an admittance fee today." In Alan walked, smiling. I'd never have come up with such a fine line.

He asked me if we were able to create or was it like trying to work in a fishbowl. I admitted that time spent there wasn't as intensely productive as would be possible in the quiet of my own studio ... but the main point of being there was to have a chance to share my work (and enthusiasm for it) with visitors. Most of the time, people peer through the window and move on, I think because they are worried about disturbing me. Perhaps I should get some t-shirts printed with "You're Not Disturbing Me. I Want You To Talk to Me." Something like that.

Heart to Heart
I didn't get a whole lot of painting done -- but that was primarily from having a really touching conversation with another artist who happened upon my studio. Our talk reminded me of thoughts shared with so many of my sitters during last year's 100 Faces in 100 Days project. My conclusion then, as it is now, is that we can sure help each other out along the way if we're just open to talking, listening, sharing some of those rough spots in our lives.

Come On In
Alan made a sudden exit so he wouldn't hold up his group, but then popped back in again to say a  sincere "I just wanted to say Thank You. Your work is terrific." His doing that made me feel terrific.

If you're visiting the Torpedo Factory this month -- come on into the studio. I want to meet you and you'll make my day. I might just brighten yours, too.

I'm there Thursday through  Monday throughout the month. Check specific hours below or on my web site's Events page.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project
Email
Phone: 703.403.7435

Events and Exhibits

August, Visiting Resident Studio Artist, Torpedo Factory, 105 N. Union St., Alexandria, VA, Studio #333. See regular hours/days, reception, demo dates on the events page on my web site. 
Still life painting demo: Sunday, August 12, 1 to 5pm
Portrait painting demos: August 19 and August 26, 1 to 5pm.
I'll be in my studio:
Mondays, 10am-5pm
Thursdays, 2-9pm
Friday, noon-6pm
Saturdays, noon to 6pm
Sundays, noon to 6pm
Other events/times will be listed on my event page on my new web site. I hope to see you there!

July 7- August 31, Artists' Atelier, "Water, Water, Everywhere" group exhibit, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA.  Open Saturdays, noon - 4pm. 


Sunday, October 14, MPA Artfest Outdoor Juried Arts Festival, McLean Central Park, McLean, VA

Saturday and Sunday, October 20&21, Great Falls Annual Studio Tour, 10am-5pm, visit artists in their studios throughout Great Falls on a self-guided tour. I’ll be at the Artists’ Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA 22066





No comments: