Friday, August 17, 2012

The Apple Doesn't Fall Far From the Tree

"An Apple Arrangement," oil, 24"h x 30"w, ©Jill Banks 2009
Today's visitors included my mom and dad ... and their pastor Joan Bell-Haynes and her husband, Oscar. These are four wonderful people to be around ... and they filled Studio #333 at the Torpedo Factory in Alexandria, VA with good cheer.

On that Apple Thing
I scattered around five chairs in the narrow studio -- working to encourage my dad, with his recent back surgery and the rest of the gang to sit, talk and enjoy themselves. Now it was the five of us realizing what being behind the glass in the studio was like. People would look in and walk by -- something that happens quite a bit there. I'm sort of adapting to that ... and sort of not.

"Ride 'Em Cowgirl" work in progress, day 4
It was driving my mom nuts. She was trying to figure out how to be there and still bring people into the studio at the same time. I try to figure out how to paint, and let people know they are absolutely welcome to come in. Both of our antics are pretty funny, only I just get to look at hers. While we were talking, Mom was standing looking at my paintings so that would lead to someone else coming in. She's my top agent, no contest.

For all of that hoping that each person walks through the studio door, their view through the window is telling of my work. Those truly interested make it in and have loved seeing my art and talking to me. I even have regulars -- with my short stay. Another joy. There are plenty.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project
Email
Phone: 703.403.7435

Events and Exhibits

August, Visiting Resident Studio Artist, Torpedo Factory, 105 N. Union St., Alexandria, VA, Studio #333. See regular hours/days, reception, demo dates on the events page on my web site. 
Still life painting demo: Sunday, August 12, 1 to 5pm
Portrait painting demos: August 19 and August 26, 1 to 5pm.
I'll be in my studio:
Mondays, 10am-5pm
Thursdays, 2-9pm
Friday, noon-6pm
Saturdays, noon to 6pm
Sundays, noon to 6pm
Other events/times will be listed on my event page on my new web site. I hope to see you there!

July 7- August 31, Artists' Atelier, "Water, Water, Everywhere" group exhibit, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA.  Open Saturdays, noon - 4pm. 



Sunday, October 14, MPA Artfest Outdoor Juried Arts Festival, McLean Central Park, McLean, VA

Saturday and Sunday, October 20&21, Great Falls Annual Studio Tour, 10am-5pm, visit artists in their studios throughout Great Falls on a self-guided tour. I’ll be at the Artists’ Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA 22066









1 comment:

Joanna Olson said...

Hi Jill
Thank you for your comment on my blog. What a treat it is to visit you on your blog. I enjoyed your comments about having your family and friends in the studio and have people peek in unsure of whether they should commit to visiting. It can be hard to reach out to people and not feel like a hard sell. Always a challenge.
Years ago I heard about the Torpedo Factory and hope to make the time to visit some day. Until then I'll keep checking into your blog!