Monday, August 27, 2012

"Sunflowers in My Studio II" Painting Almost Done

"Sunflowers in My Studio II" work in progress, oil, 30"h x 24"w, ©Jill Banks 2012
Mondays are quieter days at the Torpedo Factory. At least this one was ... which afforded me the opportunity to work quite a bit on this painting, now renamed "Sunflowers in My Studio II."

This piece transitioned between my home studio ... where it started ... to Studio #333 where I was trying to figure out what work would come from that new space.

One of my struggles for this month was that I was uncomfortable there working from photos on my laptop (if I do work from photos they are shown on a large screen display that can adjust from horizontal to vertical as necessary) and the lighting was actually too strong to control when working from life. I decided to deal with too much light and concentrated on still lifes ... and my one portrait in progress of Jenny. It's actually just different and it's up to me how I paint the scene.

Only two days left there and most of those will be consumed with moving out. This is a lot worse than having to check under the bed for socks when departing a hotel stay. My stuff is now everywhere ... and there's a lot of it.

Visitors today were from: the DC area, Vietnam, Guatemala, Australia, India, California, Florida, and New Jersey.

Events and Exhibits

August, Visiting Resident Studio Artist, Torpedo Factory, 105 N. Union St., Alexandria, VA, Studio #333. See regular hours/days, reception, demo dates on the events page on my web site. 
Only two days left there:
Thursday, August 30, 2-9pm
Friday, August 31, noon-6pm
Other events/times will be listed on my event page on my new web site. I hope to see you there!

Sunday, October 14, MPA Artfest Outdoor Juried Arts Festival, McLean Central Park, McLean, VA

Saturday and Sunday, October 20&21, Great Falls Annual Studio Tour, 10am-5pm, visit artists in their studios throughout Great Falls on a self-guided tour. I’ll be at the Artists’ Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA 22066

No comments: