Saturday, August 4, 2012

Torpedo Factory Day

"Reflections," oil, 16"h x 20"w, ©Jill Banks 2012
This was my first Saturday at my post (Studio #333) at the Torpedo Factory (105 N. Union Street, Alexandria, VA) ... and the day felt a bit like a wild ride. Lots of interesting conversations, enthusiastic visitors, people from all sorts of places (Russia, Germany, South Africa, throughout the U.S.), most just there for the day.

I was worried when first coming into the Arts Center seeing a sign that the Factory was closing at 5pm today. (I've been posting 6pm.) Turns out there is a wedding in there tonight. So ... sometimes there are events that change dates and times. I won't always know those in advance. Tomorrow I'll try to get a calendar for the month.

"Reflections" was done awhile ago ... but yesterday I received a CD with photos of a lot of my work from Greg Staley. This is the first time that I've been able to post a good photo ... and there was no time to snap a shot of the studio or goings on for today.  I was immersed in more conversations than paint.

While lots of people walk right past Studio #333 in search of something else, those who come in are sure engaged, happy to be there, and interested in my work. "Tranquility" is the biggest draw. From my visitors' commentary, I gather that the Torpedo Factory isn't filled with portraiture. I've also been working on and off on the Sunflowers painting. When I look back behind me, there will be a small group watching from right outside the door. It's easier to watch from inside the studio.

Oh, and now I'll be doing three demos  ... on the next three Sundays. On the 12th will be a still life painting demo. On the 19th and 26th, I'll paint a portrait. The search is still on for my model, but today might have uncovered a very good prospect.

An author who stepped in my studio, Gene Parola, would have been hired (great face and interesting character) but he returns to Hawaii tomorrow. I would have loved spending some time discovering more about him.

Tomorrow's hours at the Torpedo Factory (for me) are noon to 6pm.

Exhibits and Events (Now look at this on the Events page at www.JillBanks.com)

August, Visiting Resident Studio Artist, Torpedo Factory, 105 N. Union St., Alexandria, VA, Studio #333. See regular hours/days, reception, demo dates on the events page on my web site.  
Reception: Thursday, August 9, 6-9pm (2nd Thursday Art Night receptions throughout the Torpedo Factory).  
Portrait painting demos: Sunday, August 12 and August 19 and August 26, 1 to 5pm.
I'll be in my studio:
Mondays, 10am-5pm
Thursdays, 2-9pm
Friday, noon-6pm
Saturdays, noon to 6pm
Sundays, noon to 6pm
Other events/times will be listed on my event page on my new web site. I hope to see you there!

July 7- August 31, Artists' Atelier, "Water, Water, Everywhere" group exhibit, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA.  Open Saturdays, noon - 4pm. 

August 1-10, "Quiet" in Salmagundi Club's Annual Photography and Graphics Exhibition held at Denise Bibro Fine Art, Chelsea, NYC.

Sunday, October 14, MPA Artfest Outdoor Juried Arts Festival, McLean Central Park, McLean, VA

Saturday and Sunday, October 20&21, Great Falls Annual Studio Tour, 10am-5pm, visit artists in their studios throughout Great Falls on a self-guided tour. I’ll be at the Artists’ Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA 22066

No comments: