Tuesday, August 28, 2012

"Grazing On Buttercups" Version II

"Grazing On Buttercups," oil, 20"h x 16"w, ©Jill Banks 2012
In the Spring, I spent many hours down a hill, working on capturing horses on Francie's farm as they enjoyed a late afternoon snack of buttercups. Believing the saying the "grass is always greener on the other side," my subjects kept trying out different locations -- a test for the painter.

As happy as I was with that plein air adventure and the results ... given my on-the-move subjects ... today it was fun to return to "Grazing On Buttercups" with some still photos to help me finish. Those photos were used very loosely -- lots of artistic license and memories of that afternoon in the field are at play here.

Plus, I was using a new, synthetic hair flat brush which made moving around the paint on a smooth surface fun and angst free. My photo doesn't show it ... but really different brushstrokes were the result.

See the May 3, 2012 post from my first day of painting.  And, I'll be adding "Grazing on Buttercups" to my web site at www.JillBanks.com, go to the Animals, Birds and Wildlife Collection under Works.


Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project
Email
Phone: 703.403.7435

Events and Exhibits


August, Visiting Resident Studio Artist, Torpedo Factory, 105 N. Union St., Alexandria, VA, Studio #333. See regular hours/days, reception, demo dates on the events page on my web site. 
I'll be in the studio on Thursday, August 30, 2-9pm. Friday, August 31 is the real move-out day, times indefinite.
Other events/times will be listed on my event page on my new web site. I hope to see you there!

July 7- August 31, Artists' Atelier, "Water, Water, Everywhere" group exhibit, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA.  Open Saturdays, noon - 4pm. 

Sunday, October 14, MPA Artfest Outdoor Juried Arts Festival, McLean Central Park, McLean, VA

Saturday and Sunday, October 20&21, Great Falls Annual Studio Tour, 10am-5pm, visit artists in their studios throughout Great Falls on a self-guided tour. I’ll be at the Artists’ Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA 22066


2 comments:

Debby Bird said...

I feel obliged to inform you that the horses would not have been eating buttercups as they are poisonous. That is why fields often have so many of them in them, the animals do not eat them.

But I do enjoy the painting and as always enjoy receiving your blog and keeping up with what you are currently working on.

Jill Banks said...

Thanks, Debby. Hopefully, the horses are much, much, much smarter than me.

Thanks, too, for reading the blog.