Friday, August 31, 2012

Painting in Herndon and Finding Some Help

My painting on the easel with my two models by its side
Today and tomorrow it's Paint Herndon! (Virginia) time ... with plein air artists setting up easels all over town. Tomorrow afternoon (Saturday, September 1) we turn in our stamped (on the back ) canvases and papers at 3:30pm for judging and exhibition.

I spent all afternoon working on this scene of the street in front of Great Harvest Bread. Greg and his dog pal Kelsey had sat on the bench before coming over to chat ... and then another visitor and I convinced the them to sit back down and model for me. It's certainly not a detailed view of them ... but it was pretty wonderful they volunteered.  Pretty cool.

There were many people stopping to chat ... some taking my picture (sitting on the ground on the sidewalk all day) -- to show what neat things are happening around the town. I loved being part of that.

One of the things I find interesting about making art in the public is how appreciative people of all ages are that you are there. They praise the painting, like to talk, and are just generally open to good exchanges. I get a thumbs up a lot.

Fun day. I'll see what tomorrow brings. A photo of this painting will probably be here tomorrow night.


Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project
Email
Phone: 703.403.7435

Events and Exhibits


Sunday, October 14, MPA Artfest Outdoor Juried Arts Festival, McLean Central Park, McLean, VA
Saturday and Sunday, October 20&21, Great Falls Annual Studio Tour, 10am-5pm, visit artists in their studios throughout Great Falls on a self-guided tour. I’ll be at the Artists’ Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA 22066
 

No comments: