Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Back to "Tomatoes and Onions" Painting...

Earlier version
"Tomatoes and Onions" final, oil on panel, 10"h x 8"w, ©Jill Banks 2011
I've been away a few days. On Sunday -- I was painting, continuing on with my peaches and cantaloupe painting, and managed to make a total mess. I'll post it at some point ... if I can resurrect it.

I suppose that I didn't need to confess my difficult day ... but reality is, bad painting days strike sometimes. I did know enough to quit ... when it was clear there was no fixing it that day.

And Monday and Tuesday were dedicated to doing stuff to help celebrate my daughter's birthday. Lots of labor of loves.

"Benched," oil, 9"h x 12"w (I think), ©Jill Banks 2009
And today, I took two paintings to the Art League (in the Torpedo Factory, Alexandria, VA) for receiving for this month's show. One was destined for the bin gallery wall: my painting, "Benched" painted during a workshop in Easton, MD awhile ago. And, I entered "Tranquility" for jurying. It was accepted ... so you can see both there until August 1.

It's always fun to go down to the Art League... and I miss being there on a regular basis. Lots of great friends, great people there around every corner.

This afternoon, I painted, returning to "Tomatoes and Onions" with lots of fresh, new paint. It needed strengthening ... adding more drama to the paint surface and lights/shadows. Plus, I rethought the relationship between the front tomato and onion below. Much better.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project: www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: