Thursday, July 21, 2011

"Who Goes There?" is Beanie Baby Painting #3

"Who Goes There?," oil on gessoboard, 6"h x 6"w, ©Jill Banks 2011
I got an early painting start this morning. It helped that I'd set this guy up last night and he was just waiting for me to paint him. I just couldn't wait! So, this a.m. reminded me of my 100 Faces in 100 Days project. Anticipation of what lies ahead ... although with less uncertainty. And, this mouse didn't have much to say.

So, "Who Goes There?" is #3 of nine in my Beanie Baby series. See yesterday's post to check out #1 and #2.

Randy and I are heading to Richmond for the afternoon to offer our what-it's-worth housing advice to son Sam and daughter-in-law Michelle. I haven't decided yet whether I'll be reading my new landscape painting books or drawing on the trips down and back. I'm leaning toward drawing. I have (lots of) this wonderful paper Randy ordered and had shipped from Zecchi's art supply store (the BEST) in Florence, Italy. It's been calling to me. The paper holds up beautifully for ink washes, watercolor, graphite ... you name it ... and it has these delicate, tight ridges that add to the drawings. Probably sounds like I like it.

Coming up:
Friday (Tomorrow), July 22, 7-9pm Reception for the "Signs of Summer" Exhibit in the Gallery at the Artists' Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Great Falls, VA

Sunday, August 7: Painting on the Waterfront with the Art League's Plein Air Painters, behind the Torpedo Factory in Alexandria, VA, in the morning.

August 8 to August 19: Three of my drawings will be on exhibit as part of the Salmagundi Club's Annual Photography and Graphics Non-Members Exhibit in NYC. This prestigious, 140-year-old arts club is located in a beautiful brownstone at 47 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY. Through the years, the Salmagundi Club has been the gathering spot of such luminaries as Childe Hassam, William Merrit Chase, N.C. Wyeth, Howard Pyle, Louis Comfort Tiffany, and many others. It's a pretty incredible spot. So ... if you're in NYC any time soon ...

August 1-31: "100 Faces in 100 Days" Exhibit #2 in the Gallery at the Artists' Atelier
Reception: Friday, August 12, 6-9pm
Ice Cream Social: Saturday, August 13, 2-4pm
RSVP helpful for both events ... but please come anyway if you don't get around to it.

Sunday, August 14: Painting on the Waterfront with the Art League's Plein Air Painters, behind the Torpedo Factory in Alexandria, VA, in the morning.

August 26-August 29: Four-day intensive, still life workshop: "A Painting A Day" offered through the Great Falls School of Art. Space is limited. Details coming soon on my web site: www.JillBanks.com.

To read more about the 100 Faces in 100 Days project on my web site (www.jillbanks.com), go to the 100 Faces Project Pages 1 and 2 where you can see all 100 of my volunteers. Click on the paintings, and go to my blog post for that person's sitting.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 1 (faces 1-54): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 2 (faces 55-100): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project_2.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435 

No comments: