Thursday, July 28, 2011

"Weekend Edition" Update: Almost Done

"Weekend Edition" work in progress (almost done), oil on linen, 20"h x 20"w, ©Jill Banks 2011
I worked on this painting that I'd started in May ... actually two days ago. Yesterday was bug day and today was bug day of a different form. I've been on the computer all day today working on my 100 Faces photos ... and I'm only one-fifth of the way through. Ugh. That's not all I worked on today, but I have spent 11 hours staring at this screen.

But back to the good stuff. Look back at my "July Peaches" painting I put up as a blog post a few days ago. I replaced the photo and this gives you a better view. That painting is now one of my favorites. Sometimes a piece gets "tainted" (in the artist's eyes) because it was difficult to paint. I forgive this one all the troubles it handed me.

I'm happy, too, with the way "Weekend Edition" is turning out. I don't know how many versions of strawberries I went through ... but let's just say lots and lots. Someone was talking to me about my paintings of food. She figured that I could eat my models when I was done.

They look so frightful when I finish, that would be a very, very bad idea.

The newspaper in my painting is the Weekend Edition of the Washington Post when my reception for "100 Faces in 100 Days" was selected as the Gallery Opening of the Week. This is "sort of" a self-portrait since the photo is of me -- with 27 of my faces.

I want to add steam coming up from my lucky coffee cup, but will have to let this coat of paint dry. Should be fun.

Time for a break.

Coming up:
Sunday, August 7: Painting on the Waterfront with the Art League's Plein Air Painters, behind the Torpedo Factory in Alexandria, VA, in the morning.

August 8 to August 19: Three of my drawings will be on exhibit as part of the Salmagundi Club's Annual Photography and Graphics Non-Members Exhibit in NYC. This prestigious, 140-year-old arts club is located in a beautiful brownstone at 47 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY. Through the years, the Salmagundi Club has been the gathering spot of such luminaries as Childe Hassam, William Merrit Chase, N.C. Wyeth, Howard Pyle, Louis Comfort Tiffany, and many others. It's a pretty incredible spot. So ... if you're in NYC any time soon ...

August 1-31: "100 Faces in 100 Days" Exhibit #2 in the Gallery at the Artists' Atelier
Reception: Friday, August 12, 6-9pm
Ice Cream Social: Saturday, August 13, 2-4pm
RSVP helpful for both events ... but please come anyway if you don't get around to it.

Sunday, August 14: Painting on the Waterfront with the Art League's Plein Air Painters, behind the Torpedo Factory in Alexandria, VA, in the morning.

NEW! Sunday, August 21: At the Registration Pavilion for the Reston Century Ride, Reston Town Center, Reston, VA -- with prints of "W&OD BBQ", the first place winner in the T-Shirt competition.

August 26-August 29: Four-day intensive, still life workshop: "A Painting A Day" offered through the Great Falls School of Art. Space is limited. Details coming soon on my web site: www.JillBanks.com.

To read more about the 100 Faces in 100 Days project on my web site (www.jillbanks.com), go to the 100 Faces Project Pages 1 and 2 where you can see all 100 of my volunteers. Click on the paintings, and go to my blog post for that person's sitting.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 1 (faces 1-54): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 2 (faces 55-100): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project_2.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435 

No comments: