Friday, July 29, 2011

Hmmm ... Pictures?

"Face #14: Anne Guerin," oil on board,  Jill Banks 2011
Today was spent with lots and lots and lots of hours at the computer rather than at the easel. You know where I'd rather be. I was continuing work on getting photos of my 100 Faces ready for an assortment of applications. Other than my wrist being sore from so much typing and clicking, this exercise was a bit like sorting through family photos or a drawer of miscellany. Sort of full of wonder.

"Face #21: Cindy Hargroves," oil on board,  Jill Banks 2011
I had some technical a-ha moments today, but I also had some "wow, in general" moments. As I work on the photos, I'm amazed at what was accomplished ... just incredulous. So many of these paintings are just true depictions of the person and the hours we spent together. Even though I was the person holding the paintbrush, it seems someone else took over. I see the emotion and spirit in each of my sitters. They came through as so unique ... separate from the mechanics/techniques of painting. I let our time together speak to me ... or maybe directly to the canvas. Looking back is just as magical as those days.

A Note from Danny at Carolina Brothers Pit Barbecue
I sent an email to Carolina Brothers Pit Barbecue about my painting "W&OD BBQ" winning first prize in the Reston Century T-Shirt Art Competition and received an enthusiastic reply. I loved the place, inside and out, and had asked if I could paint there, inside and out. The answer -- yes, any time. And, Danny got a big kick out being featured on the backs of 1200 riders on August 21.

I'm excited about having another spot to paint.

My eyeballs need toothpicks to see the screen ... so it's time to say bye.

Coming up:
Sunday, August 7: Painting on the Waterfront with the Art League's Plein Air Painters, behind the Torpedo Factory in Alexandria, VA, in the morning.

August 8 to August 19: Three of my drawings will be on exhibit as part of the Salmagundi Club's Annual Photography and Graphics Non-Members Exhibit in NYC. This prestigious, 140-year-old arts club is located in a beautiful brownstone at 47 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY. Through the years, the Salmagundi Club has been the gathering spot of such luminaries as Childe Hassam, William Merrit Chase, N.C. Wyeth, Howard Pyle, Louis Comfort Tiffany, and many others. It's a pretty incredible spot. So ... if you're in NYC any time soon ...

August 1-31: "100 Faces in 100 Days" Exhibit #2 in the Gallery at the Artists' Atelier
Reception: Friday, August 12, 6-9pm
Ice Cream Social: Saturday, August 13, 2-4pm
RSVP helpful for both events ... but please come anyway if you don't get around to it.

Sunday, August 14: Painting on the Waterfront with the Art League's Plein Air Painters, behind the Torpedo Factory in Alexandria, VA, in the morning.

NEW! Sunday, August 21: At the Registration Pavilion for the Reston Century Ride, Reston Town Center, Reston, VA -- with prints of "W&OD BBQ", the first place winner in the T-Shirt competition.

August 26-August 29: Four-day intensive, still life workshop: "A Painting A Day" offered through the Great Falls School of Art. Space is limited. Details coming soon on my web site: www.JillBanks.com.

To read more about the 100 Faces in 100 Days project on my web site (www.jillbanks.com), go to the 100 Faces Project Pages 1 and 2 where you can see all 100 of my volunteers. Click on the paintings, and go to my blog post for that person's sitting.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 1 (faces 1-54): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 2 (faces 55-100): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project_2.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435 

No comments: