Sunday, July 10, 2011

Painting on the Waterfront in Old Town Alexandria

"On the Waterfront," oil on panel, 10"h x 8"w, ©Jill Banks 2011
I spent a great morning and early afternoon hanging out in and around one of my favorite spots ... outside the Torpedo Factory in Alexandria. It was one of what I hope to be many get-togethers of the Plein Air Painters of the Art League. There were four of us there today ... Jean Schwartz, Jack Dyer, Vicki Blum and me. Visitors seemed to enjoy having us there and to check out the paintings in progress.

For a little while, my painting starts look crazy ... where I hardly know what it is that I'm painting. It's a little unnerving that people get to see that but I hope they check back when each one is starting to actually look like something. If some of the passerbys were wondering about my abilities, they were nice enough not to question it out loud.

The painting "On the Waterfront" was my first of the day. It was done when the boat at the forefront left the scene. There's always something like that happening. The car moves. The shadows change. Clouds enter the scene. I think it was time to move on anyway ... and I happen to like this one the way it is.

"To the Bike Shop," oil on panel, 10"h x 8"w, ©Jill Banks 2011
I picked my spot to set up because of it was a nice, consistently shaded area ... relatively cool on this hot day. I sure wasn't giving it up, so the second painting required just a 90° turn of the easel. Scene II. "To the Bike Shop" is of the bright yellow store that marks the path between the Art League/Torpedo Factory and Chadwick's. I've walked that alley plenty of times.

Plus, I stopped in to see this month's show at the Art League Gallery (Alexandria, VA). It's really pretty wonderful. "Tranquility" has a great spot ... too. There was an emphasis on sculpture for this exhibit ... and they, in particular, really added some excitement to the gallery. The exhibit is up until August 1.
There I am.







Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project: www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: