Tuesday, July 12, 2011

"July Peaches" In Progress, Perseverance and More

"July Peaches" work in progress, oil on linen, 18"h x 24"w, ©Jill Banks 2011
I get the feeling I'm posting this ... just to avoid for a bit longer the ridiculous to do list I typed up for myself today. (I did tackle a bit of it.)

Peaches and Perseverance
"July Peaches" are in progress. Day three today. Day one, painted on July 2 was full of promise. Day two, which happened to be July 3rd was an absolute disaster of proportions I haven't witnessed in awhile. Thus, there are no photos -- or evidence of day two. Phew.

It was on that infamous day two that I decided to completely change everything I had "accomplished" on day one ... and add in the flag as a compositional tool and a nod to July 4th. It created a different form of fireworks. I went home with my head down, accepting that day was a defeat. A smarter me would have left that painting after day one, let it dry for a few days and resume work when ... if I got in trouble, I could "erase" the new day's work. Okay. Next time.

 So I let it sit. And worked at it today with replacement models in a different studio. I have more work to do ... as in stars on the flag, the second peach ... and painting the heck out of those dangling peach leaves. But, I'm not doing it tomorrow.

"Conversations: 100 Faces in 100 Days" Article in élan Magazine 
The July 2011 issue of élan Magazine includes my first-person article about my 100 Faces in 100 Days project. It's beautifully laid out by Art Director Jean Davis ... and I was very relieved to see that my photos -- of so many of my faces -- turned out well in print. I've been working on improving my skills, and equipment for photographing my own art particularly for this project -- so I can have all the images I need -- for the web, book, press, etc. But, it's a scary leap. And doing your own photography can go terribly wrong. So, phew again.

I'll get permission first -- but hopefully will put the article up on my web site ... so those that don't get elan have a chance to get a peek. For my 100 Faces volunteers, the following of you have your paintings pictured ... in some way accompanying the article:

8-year-old Jack
Nancy Keane
Mollie Vardell
Anjanette Murphy
Walt Lawrence
Jim Devine
Trish Gaitan
Danni Lougee
Scott Anger
Diane Slafsky
Ben
Jack Platt
Richard Kelly
Barbara Marhofer
John Smith
Doris Leadbetter
Christine Flack
Janet Armour
Stephen Klagholz
Marlene Grim
Pamela Grim
Sue Bennett
8-year old Adam
Frank Gugino
Joan Devine
Trina Myers
Jane Anne Houser
Robert (Bob) Simon
Drate Banks (my father-in-law)
Ken Johnson (my dad)
Joan Haynes (my parents' pastor)
Oscar Haynes
Anne Guerin
Judith St. Ledger-Roty (my former studio mate)
Six-and-a-half-month old Bailey
Patti Chisholm
Jon Fisher
Laura Nichols
Vladimir Gribach
Sam Banks (my son)
... and Sally Simms

Plus face #101, David Reynolds, publisher of élan Magazine who sat during my demo day for the first 100 Faces exhibit in May at the Great Falls Library. He's pictured on the Word from the Editor section, p. 14. The article starts on p. 28.

I'll soon be hanging the second exhibit of these 100 Faces (or 101) at the Artists' Atelier to be on view from August 1-31. You are cordially invited to visit (I'll establish open hours and post those on my web site and here on the blog) and especially invited for the two main events.

Jill Banks' 100 Faces in 100 Days Exhibit -- August 1-31, 2011
Reception: Friday, August 12, 6-9pm
Ice Cream Social: Saturday, August 13, 2-4pm
At the Artists' Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA 22066

Read more about the project on my web site (www.jillbanks.com), go to the 100 Faces Project Pages 1 and 2 where you can see all 100 of my volunteers. Click on the paintings, and go to my blog post for that person's sitting.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 1 (faces 1-54): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 2 (faces 55-100): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project_2.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: