Sunday, July 17, 2011

"W&OD BBQ" Painting of Cyclists in Ashburn

"W&OD BBQ," Ashburn, VA, 8"h x 16"w, oil on Raymar panel, copyright Jill Banks 2011
Finally! I've been working on this painting for the last three days (in addition to working on my 100 Faces in 100 Days book). I started this on Friday afternoon painting in plein air in Ashburn, VA. I was trying to stay clear of the cyclists and still be able to see the trail and this great barbecue spot, Carolina Brothers Pit Barbecue at Partlow's (where Hay Road meets Ashburn Road). I didn't know just how good it was until after I had painted what I could on location. Carolina Brothers closes at 8pm on Fridays, it was almost 8 ... and that's where Randy and I were going to eat. Plus, the light was gone.

It was terrific and very inexpensive. Seven dollars for a sandwich with two heaping piles of sides. Great since painting made me hungry. We sat out on those picnic tables enjoying watching the comings and goings on the W&OD trail. Something I'd been doing from the other side for a couple of hours. See the hint of a person sitting at the picnic table? That's Randy. He'd just gotten back from a golfing trip and I convinced him (not easily) to come hang out while I painted.

This is painted on one of the new panels I purchased. This size is a new one for me and I was dying to paint on it.  I love the exaggerated width. Or I guess length.

I'm still working on getting the hang of painting in plein air. It's tough! I ordered four books on landscape painting and I hope that offers more clues. In any case, maybe I'll offer a review of those choices here.

What I'm excited about plein air is getting out there --. I wouldn't have stumbled on this really great spot. It made me want to take up cycling ... realizing I would see spots that I wouldn't by car or on foot. It's opening up a different world -- integrating painting with the experience of being in a place.

I still have a dislike of bugs, heat, and too much nature. So, I'm picking which days are spent indoors and which ones are spent outdoors ... and where I go.

And ... as an ongoing reminder:
August Exhibit of the 100 Faces in 100 Days Project at the Artists' Atelier
I'll soon be hanging the second exhibit of these 100 Faces (or 101) at the Artists' Atelier to be on view from August 1-31. You are cordially invited to visit (I'll establish open hours and post those on my web site and here on the blog) and especially invited for the two main events.


Jill Banks' 100 Faces in 100 Days Exhibit -- August 1-31, 2011
Reception: Friday, August 12, 6-9pm
Ice Cream Social: Saturday, August 13, 2-4pm
At the Artists' Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA 22066

Read more about the project on my web site (www.jillbanks.com), go to the 100 Faces Project Pages 1 and 2 where you can see all 100 of my volunteers. Click on the paintings, and go to my blog post for that person's sitting.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 1 (faces 1-54): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 2 (faces 55-100): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project_2.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: