Saturday, July 23, 2011

Open Life at the Great Falls School of Art

"Beach Journal," 20"h x 16"w, oil on Raphael board, ©Jill Banks 2011
I've been in withdrawals ... without my 100 Faces and a Summer off of Open Life at the McLean Community Center ... so this afternoon's model session at the Great Falls School of Art was a welcome opportunity. And fun!

Zeki was the model, and Terri Parent -- the monitor for these sessions, has been in a decidedly beach-summer mindset. (She was the mastermind of last night's reception -- with Sangria and flipflops part of the equation -- for the Artists' Atelier's "Signs of Summer" exhibit.) She brought in the chair, buoys, beach towel.

I work my tail off in these sessions -- trying to capture what I'm after against the clock. It's a fight to the finish. But, a good fight. I used the palette knife to give it a rough and tumble feel -- and to cover the smooth board faster. It makes such a difference when you've gotten the whole piece blocked in. Looking at it now, I realize I need to add a shadow under Zeki's lower lip ... but hey, I had to come home sometime.

I may post my Beanie Baby of the Day ... number four out of nine a bit later tonight. Or maybe tomorrow.


100 Faces in 100 Days Exhibit and Other News
August 1-31: "100 Faces in 100 Days" Exhibit #2 in the Gallery at the Artists' Atelier
Reception: Friday, August 12, 6-9pm
Ice Cream Social: Saturday, August 13, 2-4pm
RSVP helpful for both events ... but please come anyway if you don't get around to it.

Sunday, August 14: Painting on the Waterfront with the Art League's Plein Air Painters, behind the Torpedo Factory in Alexandria, VA, in the morning.

August 26-August 29: Four-day intensive, still life workshop: "A Painting A Day" offered through the Great Falls School of Art. Space is limited. Details coming soon on my web site: www.JillBanks.com.

To read more about the 100 Faces in 100 Days project on my web site (www.jillbanks.com), go to the 100 Faces Project Pages 1 and 2 where you can see all 100 of my volunteers. Click on the paintings, and go to my blog post for that person's sitting.

No comments: