Tuesday, July 26, 2011

I Won a Great and Different Prize

"W&OD BBQ" wins First Place in the Reston Century T-Shirt Art Competition
Today I was anticipating hearing "how I did" in three competitions. Actually one bit of news, a rejection, was received at 12:01am. I keep trying for one show but have not been accepted yet. Apparently, I'm the only one, so far, who thinks my work belongs in the exhibition. Oh. And my husband agrees with me. So, two.

On the bright side of the rejection is that I have a purchaser for one of the pieces I submitted ... and work needs to be for sale at the exhibit. (I save shipping costs and a commission on the sale.) There's lemonade in that lemon.

Mid-afternoon I found out that I won First Place, the top prize, in the Reston Century T-Shirt Art Competition for my painting "W&OD BBQ." I'm thrilled! When I first saw a call for art (through ArtSpace Herndon ) for a t-shirt competition, I barely paid attention. Then, I got word that the deadline was extended -- right when I was working on plein air pieces -- and I realized that this just might be the right subject to paint.

The spot depicted is Carolina Brothers Pit Barbecue in Ashburn. Read about this painting on my July 17 post.

First Place includes a cash prize of $500 and the winning artwork will be printed in full color on the back of the shirts given out to approximately 1200 riders. I get the biggest kick out of that. Can't you just see a sea of cyclists with "W&OD BBQ" on their backs? It will also be displayed on the Reston Bike Club's web site. And, I get to sell prints and/or the original the day of the event (Sunday, August 21) at the Reston Town Center in the Registration Pavilion.

All entrants from the competition will have the opportunity to exhibit at ArtSpace Herndon in mid-November to tie in with the Reston Bike Club's Annual Meeting.

So, cool beans! Good, right?

"Blue," oil on linen, 12"h x 12"w, ©Jill Banks 2011
My third bit of news was a no ... received shortly after hearing about winning First Place. I'd taken "Blue" to the Great Falls Library for judging for the best piece of art of the Eastern Bluebird, the new town bird. The winner was to receive a purchase award with the art being framed and donated to the library later this year. "Blue" didn't make it this time (it had won Best in Show in June) ... but I loved the winning piece. And I walked out with a smile on my face.

One bit of great news is fine with me. If I'd received three no's, I would have picked a different topic for the post. And stuck an "L" on my forehead.

Life as an artist pretty much always resembles a roller-coaster ride. I have good painting days ... and bad painting days. Times I'm satisfied with where I'm heading and times I feel a little lost. Acceptances and rejections.

Today's a yea!

Time to go paint some more.


Coming up:
Sunday, August 7: Painting on the Waterfront with the Art League's Plein Air Painters, behind the Torpedo Factory in Alexandria, VA, in the morning.

August 8 to August 19: Three of my drawings will be on exhibit as part of the Salmagundi Club's Annual Photography and Graphics Non-Members Exhibit in NYC. This prestigious, 140-year-old arts club is located in a beautiful brownstone at 47 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY. Through the years, the Salmagundi Club has been the gathering spot of such luminaries as Childe Hassam, William Merrit Chase, N.C. Wyeth, Howard Pyle, Louis Comfort Tiffany, and many others. It's a pretty incredible spot. So ... if you're in NYC any time soon ...

August 1-31: "100 Faces in 100 Days" Exhibit #2 in the Gallery at the Artists' Atelier
Reception: Friday, August 12, 6-9pm
Ice Cream Social: Saturday, August 13, 2-4pm
RSVP helpful for both events ... but please come anyway if you don't get around to it.

Sunday, August 14: Painting on the Waterfront with the Art League's Plein Air Painters, behind the Torpedo Factory in Alexandria, VA, in the morning.


NEW! Sunday, August 21: At the Registration Pavilion for the Reston Century Ride, Reston Town Center, Reston, VA -- with prints of "W&OD BBQ", the first place winner in the T-Shirt competition.

August 26-August 29: Four-day intensive, still life workshop: "A Painting A Day" offered through the Great Falls School of Art. Space is limited. Details coming soon on my web site: www.JillBanks.com.

To read more about the 100 Faces in 100 Days project on my web site (www.jillbanks.com), go to the 100 Faces Project Pages 1 and 2 where you can see all 100 of my volunteers. Click on the paintings, and go to my blog post for that person's sitting.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 1 (faces 1-54): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 2 (faces 55-100): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project_2.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435 

3 comments:

Jim Kunzler said...

Jill, I am so happy that your "W&OD BBQ" won first place in the Reston Century T-Shirt Art Competition. I knew that painting was good. That's why I wanted to see it in person when I visited you last week. I am so proud of you; and impressed with all your accomplishments.

Jerry Stocks said...

Congratulations on your win. And I like your bird.

Jill Banks said...

Thanks Jim and Jerry. The bird has already won a Best in Show ... so the judge liked it, too. I think the right painting won this time, too. It was painted by my studiomate Jennifer Duncan. You can see her work at www.jenniferduncanart.com.

I am getting a kick out of this t-shirt business. I hope I can get one of my own -- but the riders (obviously) need to get their shirts first.